Side Extension Requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIY’ers,

Is there anybody on this forum who could offer me some building advice ? I am hoping to build a 1 storey blockwork side extension. This would be used as a little workspace and extra storage. The space at the side of the house measures from the house gable to boundary wall 2.5m and also around 8m long. I hope to extend by 2m x 5.5m and would like to know what planning permission I would require for such a build and if there is any reason why planning may be rejected. I may add the boundary wall is a retaining wall that I had built last years that stands 1.2m high with a 1.8m fence above it that sits 0.5m back from the retaining wall which on the other side is the neighbours garden. I have photos of the foundations and rebar that was put in place for the retaining wall should the planners need to see that. These dimensions would leave a small gap of 0.5m between edge of extension and retaining wall , just enough to walk through.

I had originally thought about a shed in this space but feel it would be to hard to maintain with the shed being so close to the gable end of the house and in reality wouldnt have the same qualities as a side extension.

I would be grateful for any help or guidance that could be offered on this.

Many thanks

Scott

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your reply , much appreciated. So as you said it looks like I wouldn’t require planning permission, would be the correct process to get building control approval in place. Have an architect design something that met my needs and then look to get a building warrant approved by the relevant department ? How long could I expect a warrant to remain in place from being approved as my plans were going to realistically work round breaking the job up and possibly get the founds and base in place first and then move forward from there. I will intend to do as much as possible myself so it would inevitably take some time. I would take a bricky in to push things along come the time and also a joiner / roofer once the walls were up. Apologies if I’m asking for information that can be found online with a bit of digging but although this is the first time I have been involved in a thread I have taken lots of good information of here is the past. Any useful information is gratefully received.

Cheers

One of the conditions of permitted development is that the materials of construction should be similar in appearance to those of the house; if your house is brick, blockwork for the extension might not be acceptable.

As regards the legal side - something tells me you might be in Scotland (?) and the rules there may be slightly different from Eng. and Wales.

Sponsored Links
Yes mate I am in Scotland . The house itself is block and harled so although I’d considered block and render it’s no problem to harl , it would only really be the one side at rear of house that would be visible.

Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back