Side extension with planning permission & roof with Permitted development?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am applying for planning permission to put a side extension on the side of my house.

However the roof has a hip end and is an end of terrace.

I would like to change to end to gable on the new extension and put a dormer in the back. This is something that would be allowed under permitted development.

However I know that if I put in plans for the hip to gable and the dormer then it would be turned down.

So my question is can I put in plans for a hip end, get them approved, and then build a gable under permitted development?

Under permitted development the dormer could also be a bit larger than I would be able to get under planning permission.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Lucy

Sponsored Links
So I won't be able to use permitted development at all? And so I should just go for the best result with planning permission instead?

Or build it as approved by planning permission and then change it later under permitted development? - if it is worth it.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's a two-storey house, the only roof enlargement you could do at the moment via permitted development would be a hip-to-gable, with a dormer across the rear - assuming that the total volume of roof enlargement was< 40m³. (This is not including a side extension).

You cannot build something which needed planning permission, and then add to it later by claining your addition is p.d.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back