Siemens RDJ10RF boiler controller

Sponsored Links
I fit these all the time, not quite understanding your question, I do know you can only overide when set to auto, you cant override on any other setting.

You can't program programmable roomstats to off, because they don't have an off; they are on 24/7. With modern controls, the "off-function" is obsolete.

Sponsored Links
It has two modes - the thermostat temp, (the sun icon) and the energy saving thermostat temp (the moon icon) but normally I set the SUN to 22.5degC and MOON to 21.5degC.

If its supposed be ON all the time why have programmable On / OFF times?

It has 4 options

1. AUTO, which incorporates the timer settings

2. The SUN icon which is solely temp set ie 23degc

3. The MOON / Energy temp setting set to 21.5degc

4. OFF , literelly off all the time.

But in AUTO mode it displays whether it is timed on or off but it always overidden by the set temp in SUN or MOON mode.

Regarding the energy mode, how and why does that operate??

BTW thanks for the quick replies :D

My guess is that OFF is only as an override option. I have never seen a programmable roomstat with an off option in the program. Why would you want to program an off-time anyway?????????

You completely don't understand this type of control.

moon = override for night temp e.g. you go away for the weekend
sun = override for day temp e.g. you have tuesday off so you want the heat on during the day.

auto = auto.

off. Why would you want to turn it off???? pointless option.

It has two modes - the thermostat temp, (the sun icon) and the energy saving thermostat temp (the moon icon) but normally I set the SUN to 22.5degC and MOON to 21.5degC.
The moon temperature is the problem. You need to set it to about 10degC.

I know it can be confusing but when in Auto position the stat uses the SUN temperature when the heating is ON, i.e. when the house is occupied, and the MOON temperature when the heating is OFF, i.e when the house is unoccupied.

So you get:

Time 1 to Time 2 = SUN
Time 2 to Time 3 = MOON (at work)
Time 3 to Time 4 = SUN
Time 4 to Time 1 = MOON (overnight)

The OFF setting is only used if the house is unoccupied for a long time, e.g holidays. This setting automatically sets the temperature to 5deg, so it provides frost protection.

D_Hailsham -
Genuis

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN -
You are correct the 'frost' temp of 5DegC is used in Off position

bengasman -
Ignorant, condesending, rude, patronizing and clueless. If you dont know what you are talking about why contribute to this forum when there are perfectly suited forums for you to use, such as the "crayon forum" or "learn to tie your laces forum"
Your reply to me "You completely don't understand this type of control", hahahahahahahaha, if you knew what irony meant you'd be laughing too.

D_Hailsham - Nice one mate you've cracked it. When the Moon it set to low-ish temp (in relation to SUN temp) then the timer - in the AUTO/TIMED OFF position uses that as a 'fall-back' temp and will heat when it falls to that temp. Resulting in the timer operating correctly. Im glad somebody understood what I meant. Thanks again.

Hi all. I googled this and this post came up. I HAVE A VALLIANT ECO PRO 24 with this puppy attached (rdj10)

My problem is that the boiler isn't the most silent and is right next to my bedroom. When it comes on it wakes me up which does my head in.

I tried to set the timer as I want it to come on:-

On when I wake up automatically
Off just after I leave
On before I get home
Off when I'm home and house is warm

Now my problem is with the stupid thermostat thing is it comes on during the night on its own and isn't turning off when I'm going to work

How can I make this thing abide by just the timer?

I'm thinking its impossible and just rubbish and I should get the manual timer fitted to the boiler but thought I would ask

I have the same boiler/thermostat as you, and the boiler positioned near a bedroom.

You seem to have a good understanding of the thermostat settings so I don't think this can be your problem.

I think you might find that your boiler is firing up during the night due to the eco setting on your boiler, i.e. the small reserve of heated water used to provide you with instant hot water. You can disable this on the boiler although you'd need to run the water for longer before it heated up at the tap.

Worth a try anyway!!!

Tried most things. Found there was a panel on the boiler so took that off and found that valiant did a manual timer to fit that open part.

So went down to city plumbing who had one on the shelf and it just fit straight it. Dead easy.

Now I use that stupid Siemens thing set so it's always trying to make it hot (otherwise it resets) and it just runs on the timer I set.

The only down side it I get woke up by it when it starts up so I use it as an ala
Clock.

For a new ish boiler to be that loud is bonkers but short of getting sound proffing I will just live with it

Ok, been searching for this for a while now, reading forum posts like this with the same problem, and was convinced as many others that the thing was broken or stupid :cry:, as it comes on regardless of timer settings. This made me think why have a timer if it just ignores it???!!! Then I rang tech support and they explained what the crappy instructions should have explained with more clarity, and I've now cracked it:

The temp setting of the sun is THE UPPER TEMPERATURE that you want your room to reach when the timer clicks to the ON periods.

The temp setting of the moon is THE LOWER TEMPERATURE that you don't want your house to fall below when the timer is in the OFF period.

Basically sun setting is on period, and moon setting is off period

So, if your moon temp is lower than the current temp and the timer is off, it will kick in anyway, regardless of timer, so if you don't want this to happen and your boiler to wake you up in the night, set your moon temp very low. I have mine on 11c to save gas during night and an electric heater in my bedroom, then the comfort temp (sun) is set at 16c and kicks in an hour before I get up to warm the place up). Problem solved. Knowledge is power. Your welcome ;)

DIYDan74

The temp setting of the sun is THE UPPER TEMPERATURE that you want your room to reach when the timer clicks to the ON periods.

The temp setting of the moon is THE LOWER TEMPERATURE that you don't want your house to fall below when the timer is in the OFF period.

Basically sun setting is on period, and moon setting is off period

So, if your moon temp is lower than the current temp and the timer is off, it will kick in anyway, regardless of timer, so if you don't want this to happen and your boiler to wake you up in the night, set your moon temp very low. I have mine on 11c to save gas during night and an electric heater in my bedroom, then the comfort temp (sun) is set at 16c and kicks in an hour before I get up to warm the place up). Problem solved. Knowledge is power. Your welcome icon_wink.gif

Good stuff DIYDan74 However my understanding is that the boiler will only fire up when the Moon setting is active if the boiler is below the temp setting (standard = 5C) and not above otherwise the boiler will be on all the time.

My settings are SUN=20C and Moon=5C

This results in the boiler coming ON during SUN if the room temp falls below 20C and ON during MOON if the room temp falls below 5C. That is, if the ROOM temp is lower than the MOON temp and the timer is OFF then the boiler will kick-in to act as a Frost setting.

Just my two-pennorth :D

Oops, in my eagerness to quote DAN I forgot my question!

If, during the MOON phase, I turn the dial to increase the displayed temperature to a value higher than the current room temperature the boiler fires up, even when the programmed timer (A4 in my case) is OFF. This appears to be some sort of override function but how long will the boiler stay on for? Will the temperature I have selected stay as the required MOON temp and never return to the programmed 5C setting?

Very strange :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back