Silicon washer or plumbers mait on basin click-clack waste

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the downstairs toilet and basin and bought a slotted click-clack waste for the basin as it seemed a good idea at the time. It comes with a silicon washer at top and one at the bottom for sealing when fitting. Are these any good or would I be better ditching them and using plumbers mait instead to ensure no leaks?

Sponsored Links
My personal preference:

1. Ditch the washer which goes between the flange of the waste and the upper surface of the basin. Replace with a rolled "sausage" of Plumber's Mait.
2. Use a "Basin Mate" on the threads below the basin instead of the supplied washer.
3. Fitting:
3a. Plumber's Mait sausage onto flange.
3b. Tighten waste fitting in as a trial fit, fairly tight but not quite final tightness.
3c. Trim off excess Basin Mait from inside basin. You can wipe any traces off with white spirit.
3d. Mark on thread (or measure from base) where Basin Mate rubber part will go. Remove back nut and Basin Mate
3e. Smear Plumber's Mait on threads where marked (i.e. inside rubber part of Basin Mate).
3f. Reassemble and tighten. Make sure holes / slots line up with overflow channels in basin. Make sure no Plumber's Mait blocking overflow channel.
3g. Bucket under. Fill basin with water, check for leaks. Make good as necessary. Empty bucket elsewhere.
3h. Bucket under. Fill basin with water and continue filling past overflow. Check for leaks, make good as necessary.

Thanks for the reply. Never convinced about the silicone washers.
Not used a basin mate before - will have a look, but it's a small vanity unit and waste thread is limited below basin so not sure it will fit

Fitted three basins in my home with silicon or nylon washers, no problems at all.

Sponsored Links
To be honest it's the overflow you've got to watch, they seem to leak most easily. Usually the plug hole can clamp down pretty well in my limited experience.

I too am a fan of mait in this instance.
Works first time, every time.
Tried Silicone sealant but cant really test connection until cured, and I ain’t waiting around or coming back to do that 24hrs later! Also a pig to clear when fitting a replacement waste for one that was Siliconed in... mait much easier to remove and prepare surface for new fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back