Silicone or strip between worktop and Belfast sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I silicone this gap or is there a strip I can stick to the sink that will seal under the weight of the worktop?

I was thinking if there was some sort of strip it would mean I could remove the worktop if I ever needed to.

Cheers

IMG_0135.JPG

Sponsored Links
Ok cheers, I will silicone it and probably never need to move it.

Sponsored Links
Now Bosswhite has brought up an interesting conundrum. It's a hardwood worktop, so should be sealed on all sides (absolutely everywhere) and then stainless steel screws in a sliding plate to secure it to the worktops, so with a belfasts sink (which I've never done before) would you also varnish the sides of the worktop by the sink as well, or take the danish or osmo oil down inside the sink cutout.

My missus has oiled all the sides and the bottom.

I've put a metal angle round the sides but didn't think about stainless screws, it that so they don't corrode from the moisture of the wood?

IMG_0126.JPG

There is an expansion gap, I never allowed for it though, I'm just bad a cutting ;)

I just read your link. I'll make the holes for fixing to the worktop bigger and use some washers.

I got my missus to check my pencil line before I cut the hole for the sink :p

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

Would you use a white or clear silicone round the sink?

Personal preference Ian, but whilst white will blend into the sink, it'll also go grubbier quicker. Unless someone can give you a top quality sealant that won't do that of course.

I'm sure that last picture is an April fools joke.

It was a bit, I only asked her to check so I could take the picture!!

I got a 2400 x 900 piece for £109 and it's done both sides of the room. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back