silicone sealent around downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have GU10 downlights in our bathroom. Unfortunately the electrician has drilled the holes in the ceiling ever so slightly too big for the downlights, so when they are on you can see the light coming through between the plasterboard ceiling and the light fitting.

I was thinking of putting a bead of silicone sealant around the light to block this and make it a bit neater.

I'm worried about the heat though. Has anyone done this, and is there any special heat-resistant sealant available.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
Try Hard as Nail the white Grip fill thats paintable or decorators chalk personally id ues hard as nails/no nail..

Slumberland

Ps if its a big hole change downlighters to the tilt variety the hole is bigger.

silicone will still let light through

assuming theres a lip on the front edge to hide it could you not wrap heat proof tape around to increase the diamater of the fitting!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
big-all said:
silicone will still let light through

White silcone will, but what about black?

Trouble is it is very difficult to paint silicone.

painted decorators caulk or normal filler tends to be ok for small gaps.

Personally, I'd go round and kick the lobbocks off the spark. T*at!

Will see what I can do with the sealant. My main worry was the heat buildup.

I'm in the same situation I'm worried about using silicone and the decorators caulk sounds worrying as well. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Fill the holes and start again, this time finding an electrcian who'll cut the holes out the right size by hand, not just using the nearest sized hole saw he can.

The holes were the right size. It was me who damaged some of the edging when I was painting around the edges. Out of 6 lights I need to try and "make good" 3 edges where the plaster/paint is chipped (by me). I was thinking of using silicone but as i said i'm worried about the heat – what's the best thing to use that not going to burn or smell.

your point being?

the person who dug it up is in a similar situation and needs advice..

so rather that start a new identical topic he just resurected this relavent one..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back