Simple Gate fix

M

Mickymoody

After the heavy winter, my garden has taken a battering, so first sign of good weather, top of the list fix garden gate, as the hinges have dropped, and the upright has come away from the wall, so the gate needs lifting to open.

Tighten the hinge screws, they were loose, making sure to straignten gate beforehand, to pull it all together, this then puts more stress into the upright, holding the gate to the wall, making it come away even more!

I recalled having a prefab L shaped bracket, and there is a hole in the mortar right next to the upright, so shove a rawl plug into hole, disappears. Another rawlplug, gone! So I shove a length of wood into the hole, hammer it home, then snap it off, reinsert, and continue (really Heath Robinson type stuff), glue this in place, then when set, go about screwing the bracket into place. SOLID!

Renewed with enthusiasm, turn my attention to the upright, wedge the gate, to it is all square, upright is against the wall, OK, insert 1st screw, solid. Open and close gate, sorted. Insert 2nd screw, upright wood splits, whole thing drops and twists. Worse than square one.

Ever wish, however well intentioned, that really, you shouldn't have bothered, even with the best will in the world?

I understand that there are FAR easier, established, and reliable ways of doing this, but I'm proud of that gate, built and installed by me. For example I assembled the gate in my living room, and after I installed all the cross beams, and counter beams, found out that I'd actually nailed it to my laminate floor. (OOPS!) I admit I'm bad.

Sponsored Links
I assembled the gate in my living room, and after I installed all the cross beams, and counter beams, found out that I'd actually nailed it to my laminate floor. (OOPS!) I admit I'm bad.

:LOL: thats a good en :LOL:

It was easily seperated, but I have a load more; working on fixing my car, the sparkplugs were covered in oil in my Fiesta (1st car), so I went to a scrappy and purchased random pistons, and installed them, correct for the car, but not the engine...

Stood out in the middle of November with a metal inspection light, connected to house..damp air, suddenly got a few mild sparks/shocks..then the rain comes down...

All of a sudden, get blasted, several of us working on it, then the house electrics trip.

Decided to give it up for the night. TBC..I'm honestly not the best DIY'er, on cars or the house..lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back