Simple Planning Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am waiting for planning permission to come through for a large garage I want to build at the end of my garden.

I understand that the council planning dept may come and visit the site before they approve and give me planning permission which is fine. But will they also then need to inspect the garage once it is finished?

I know building regs will need various visits at different stages including completion but didn't know whether the planning dept might need to come round upon completion also.

Might be a silly question but trying to find the answer on the council website is near impossible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
The planning people shouldn't need to visit once permission has been granted unless you live in a 'sensitive' area or unless someone complains about the structure maybe not adhering to planning rules.

Most planning departments have what they call compliance teams. They visit a selection of projects to check compliance with the approved scheme. So the answer is they might or might not. As noseall says, if you are in a sensitive area I would think the chance of a random compliance visit might be a bit less random than if you live up the rough end.

As mentioned, some LPA's already have it and if not... are starting to do it. They will not know anything (nor even particularly care) about the actual construction of it. Something like a garage... I suspect they just want to make sure it's not going to be a habitable room.

Sponsored Links
It's unlikely they will come with tape measures in hand. Generally speaking busy councils will only worry about things once a complaint is made. There simply isn't the time to dedicate officers to double check every single construction!!

I believe outside of London, Birmingham had the busiest planning department.

I believe outside of London, Birmingham had the busiest planning department.
They've probably got the highest number of residents looking to extend a building to help it cope with the size of families there resident..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back