Simple question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is this next to my consumer unit? Should it have a cover on it?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 251
Sponsored Links
Probably a doorbell transformer and yes it should have a cover on, the cable at the top (twin and earth with black and red cores) will be at 240v

What is this next to my consumer unit? Should it have a cover on it?
It certainly should.

Assuming that feed to it is at mains voltage (which it very probably is) that is very dangerous with all those exposed connections, and needs urgent attention.

It is a transformer, possibly for a doorbell or somesuch

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks for the reply's. We don't have a door bell but maybe there was an old one. Or could be linked up to the alarm maybe... Either way I'll get a cover

Great, thanks for the reply's. We don't have a door bell but maybe there was an old one. Or could be linked up to the alarm maybe... Either way I'll get a cover
It might be worth trying to find out what (if anything) it is currently used for. If, for example, it is an ancient left-over of a door bell, no longer used, you could just have it removed.

That consumer unit is far from ancient, seemingly much younger than the transformer. I find it hard to believe that the transformer was like that (with no cover), and left like that, when the CU was installed.

Kind Regards, John

Yeah, that's what I thought. The CU looks reasonably more modern. I've only moved in recently. It definitely still a live connection.

I'll try following. It disappears into the ceiling pretty quickly and out of sight

Oh sorry yeah the grey wire goes to the CU. The white wires disappear off into the ceiling.

Ok. Turn off the main switch on the consumer unit and see where the grey wire goes. Take a photo if u not sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back