SIMPLE Wireless central heating control for the partially sighted/elderly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We want to buy an as simple as possible wireless central heating control for my partially sighted granny. So she can turn her central heating on and off. The boiler is upstairs, while she's downstairs (which is all of the time, as she now lives downstairs, because the stairs are too steep for her).

Unfortunately most of them are like this and are way too complicated for her.

full

The ideal one (if it existed) would be the size of a large portable radio and have a big on/off switch with a big analogue temperature knob and a big red light to show it was on or off, something like this. :):ROFLMAO:

full

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
first picture has a non programmable version also..quite good and v easy to use

Sponsored Links
first picture has a non programmable version also..quite good and v easy to use

I guess you mean one of these.

full

That's a very good shout. However she won't be able to read the screen, and it doesn't have a simple on/off switch and a simple light to show if it's on or off.

She currently just has this thermostat on the downstairs hall way wall.

full

We have tried explaining hundreds of times how thermostats works, but she just can grasp it, it's probably because she can't see the numbers very well and she can't hear the thermostat clicking on or off. She thinks turning the knob all the way right turns the heating off and all the way left turns the heating on, consequently her house ends up like an oven, when she falls asleep in the chair.

As a temporary solution I was thinking of setting her wall thermostat to say 21 degrees (and telling her never to touch it again) and wiring in series a simple 240v on/off switch with a neo light to the thermostats live feed, so she knows when the red light is on her radiators will be on, when the light is off her radiators are off. It would end up Something like this.

full

And forget my original post. The ideal setup would actually be like this. :)

full

Does anything like this exist?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back