simply plastering

In fact you said"all the plasterers I know" so you were expressing an opinion of many people,and I am not sure you can be certain of their position on this one.

I have heard that the courses are poor value and run simply to make money not to develop skills.

Sponsored Links
all plasterers I know wouldn't entertain it either, times money.

In fact you said"all the plasterers I know" so you were expressing an opinion of many people,and I am not sure you can be certain of their position on this one.

I have heard that the courses are poor value and run simply to make money not to develop skills.
i know at least ten other plasterers / renderers and not one of them would

I would - as long as i knew beforehand. Whats the difference in principle between that and posting on a diy forum?

Sponsored Links
I would - as long as i knew beforehand. Whats the difference in principle between that and posting on a diy forum?

i never charge day rate. Never have, never will. There fore i price a job, say one bedroom skimming. Would probably take me between 8-4. One days work for one boy. Add teaching someone on top off all this then my 4 oclock finish turns in to an 8oclock finish. Not for me im afraid

dm - So no objection in principle to sharing knowledge, just that it would add too much time to the job? If you knew beforehand and agreed a rate for your time perhaps?

I cant see too many probs with it either have shown customers before how to apply and even let them have a go to see for themselves what it involves. Have even told them to get some plasterboard in the garage and have a go themselves. Its not as tho they are going to take your work away from you....

Its not about taking potential work etc away. I might spend 5/10 mins showing them but a full day, no thanks. Not for me. Ive been in plenty jobs where customer asks how thick to lay on, how to mix,prep, when to trowel over etc etc and given my advice so they could then do their box room or the odd wall. No probs

At the end of the day mucka your not a bad man for not wanting to spend a day with them ;)

Say you said to someone ill teach you/ show you for a day in your living room, for £200. And we'll skim 2 or 3 walls. Thats an easy days work and a good days pay, in my opinion.

Show them how to mix, show them how to get it on, then trowel and finish.

mix 2 let them mix a bit, get it on a bit, trowel a bit and finish ( sort of )

mix 3 let them do it all, and you "supervise" it all.

Would make some boring days more interesting. I'd do it.

Obviously it all goes out the window if you have a "knob" customer...like the plum today....

Huds you do have a point.
I doubt they could finish a wall on there own with half a days teaching though

interesting thread

Interesting that some people assume i am a fool and would get in the way
I have taught plenty of people sparky work and i find it very rewarding
i am actually reasonable at spreading small areas and understand the art of mixing, the consistancy etc , been in the trade 15 years worked for builders run own business have done plenty of prep work and bonding , dry lining to a good standard, all i asked is for some advice as i would like to have some proper training to achieve a good finnish which i could probably learn myself with some practice, i just dont want to mess up this wall as i will be starring at it all evening

thanks to steve for his good advice

Ponyagent, you get a job rewire a full house, don't know how much this would be so say £2000. You turn up at the job and customer wants you to teach them everything while you do your job at the same time. This would add approx 50% longer than originally planned. What do you do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back