Single 2 x 1.5 suitability for dimmer/wall lights.

It's the neutral that completes the circuit.
Indeed. I presume that when the OP said "...I'd like the wiring to terminate at the last in-line wall light, without having to go on and complete a circuit" he meant that he din't want to have to create a ring - which, as has been said, is something that is very rarely done (or necessary) in a lighting circuit.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed. I presume that when the OP said "...I'd like the wiring to terminate at the last in-line wall light, without having to go on and complete a circuit" he meant that he din't want to have to create a ring - which, as has been said, is something that is very rarely done (or necessary) in a lighting circuit.

Kind Regards, John
Glad you said rarely, no doubt Winston will say point blank its NEVER done.

Glad you said rarely, no doubt Winston will say point blank its NEVER done.
Well, I know for a fact that it is sometimes done unnecessarily, since I inherited at least a couple of 'lighting rings' in my present house - so I could certainly not say 'never', and could authoritatively challenge winston if he suggested 'never'!

Other than if/when 'redundancy' is considered necessary/desirable, I would think that the only situation in which it might be truly 'necessary' ares if/when the circuit is so large (and loads so high) that VD might be an issue - but I find it hard to believe that such could ever be the case in a normal domestic setting.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes, we all know that, John.

I was pointing out the error in what he wrote in the hope of increasing his knowledge rather than just knowing what he actually meant and leaving him to continue the error for ever.

No disrespect Dain. It's just that John doesn't agree with correcting people if he thinks he knew what you meant.

Yes, we all know that, John. I was pointing out the error in what he wrote in the hope of increasing his knowledge rather than just knowing what he actually meant and leaving him to continue the error for ever.
I realised that, but I didn't think that it was an error on his part in the sense that you mean. The fact that he was proposing to wire the circuit as a radial (and was simply asking whether that was 'OK') implies that he understood that it would 'work', with an electrical return path via the neutral, so I assumed that he was simply asking whether it was acceptable for the cable not to return to the CU (to 'complete a ring circuit').
No disrespect Dain. It's just that John doesn't agree with correcting people if he thinks he knew what you meant.
As above, although I may be wrong, I didn't think that there was any error to correct in relation to the electrical 'return path'. I thought that he used "go on and complete a circuit" to mean '... create a ring' (which, by implication, he didn't seem to think was electrically necessary, since he was proposing a radial), so there was not really any error to correct, merely a need for confirmation (which Rocky provided) that it was acceptable for the circuit not to be a ring.

Kind Regards, John

They are on the topic of whether it's OK to tell people to ignore advice with which one disagrees.

You may disagree with the regs that allow 1.0mm cable for lighting circuits. That does not entitle you to tell others to ignore those that correctly point out the regs.

You may disagree with the regs that allow 1.0mm cable for lighting circuits.
I'm sure he can (and will) speak for himself, but I doubt that he disagrees witg that aspect of the vregs.

One might even speculate as to why T+E cables with CSAs less than 1mm² are not produced, and allowed by regs for 6A lighting circuits. Unless it is felt that they would not be mechanically sturdy enough, I can think of no reason why not.

Kind Regards, John

No I would say it should not be done. It's not necessary.
It's a pretty big jump from "not necessary" (with which I would agree in nearly all cases) to "should not be done". There's an almost unlimited list of examples one could cite in which such a jump would be inappropriate.

Kind Regards, John

1mm² or 1.5mm² will be fine (assuming this is a lighting circuit).
Well, that's true.

Ignore anybody who pops up trying to intimate that using 1.5mm² is in any way wrong
And so, it seems, is that:

Use 1.0 mm twin and earth cable. (1.5mm is not necessary).
I never said it was wrong, I said it was unnecessary.
No I would say it should not be done. It's not necessary.

Do you want to try and claim that there is no intimation of any degree of "wrongness" in doing something which "should not be done"?

Do you want to try and claim that there is no intimation of any degree of "wrongness" in any of the synonyms of "unnecessary"?

upload_2018-9-22_20-55-47.png

I never said it was wrong, I said it was unnecessary.
Please don't start arguing again for the sake of it.
DON'T go around telling other people to ignore good advice.

OP, for some reason many people use oversize cable for lighting circuits. 1.0mm is all that is required. You could of course use any size larger but getting say 6.0mm cable into the terminals would be fun.
Oh, so I can just run the existing 1.5 twin & earth to the dimmer, but wire the lights with twin 1mm & earth.

Bit rough in my opinion using 2 sizes on one circuit
Only really in terms of 'intellectual tidiness' - there is clearly nothing electrically wrong with it.

Do you feel that a 2.5mm² unfused 'spur' (supplying one socket) from a 4mm² radial is also 'a bit rough'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back