Single 2 x 1.5 suitability for dimmer/wall lights.

Sponsored Links
Would a single 2 x 1.5 & copper cable be ok to connect to a dimmer, and then on to 4 in-line wall lights?

No, the regs say you must have an earth wire available. Use 1.0 mm twin and earth cable. (1.5mm is not necessary).

1mm² or 1.5mm² will be fine (assuming this is a lighting circuit).

Ignore anybody who pops up trying to intimate that using 1.5mm² is in any way wrong - sadly we have someone here who is driven to give unhelpful "advice" like that.

BTW - it's called "twin and earth" - all the conductors are copper.

I never said it was wrong, I said it was unnecessary.
Please don't start arguing again for the sake of it.
DON'T go around telling other people to ignore good advice.

OP, for some reason many people use oversize cable for lighting circuits. 1.0mm is all that is required. You could of course use any size larger but getting say 6.0mm cable into the terminals would be fun.

Sponsored Links
Fan manufacturers instructions are wrong and as such don't have to be followed.
A typical example of manufacturers instructions being wrong. There is no requirement to follow manufacturers instructions particularly if they are wrong.
Manufacturers instructions are for guidance only and don't have to be followed, especially when they are wrong.
MI are guidance only and don't have to be followed, especially when they are wrong.
Maker's instructions are guidance only and do not have to be followed especially when they are wrong.
MI are guidance only and don't have to be followed if they are wrong, which they are in this case.
MI are for guidance only and DO NOT have to be followed especially if they are wrong.
(plus further examples ad nauseam)

Those are off topic and nothing to do with the OPs query as to whether 2 singles with no earth would be suitable

Those are off topic
They are on the topic of whether it's OK to tell people to ignore advice with which one disagrees.

They show that your opinion is that it it perfectly OK to do that.

and nothing to do with the OPs query as to whether 2 singles with no earth would be suitable
That was not what he asked about.

... nothing to do with the OPs query as to whether 2 singles with no earth would be suitable
Are you sure that that was the OP's query?....
Would a single 2 x 1.5 & copper cable be ok to connect to a dimmer, and then on to 4 in-line wall lights?
I suspect that "a single 2 x 1.5 & copper cable" is probably a rather contorted reference to T+E.

Kind Regards, John

Sry, the cable is a twin and earth (2x1.5 is printed on the grey outer insulation).

I'd like the wiring to terminate at the last in-line wall light, without having to go on and complete a circuit.

Last edited:
Sry, the cable is a twin and earth (2x1.5 is printed on the grey outer insulation).

I'd like the wiring to terminate at the last in-line wall light, without having to go on and complete a circuit.
Thats the prefered way with wiring lighting its called a radial circuit, it terminates at the last point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back