single black cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i,m trying to fit a new light but am having a problem, i have 3 red and black wires with earths but there is a single black wire on it,s own. have tried to connect with red and black in new fitting but nothing happened, have tried all red and black wires seperatley but havent used the single black one. i,ve checked my fuses and there ok so i havent blown a fuse by doing this. any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
black is possibly the neutral for an outside light, and the live comes from the switch. does the switch control an putside light?

where was it before you yo took the old light down?

gold1875 said:
i,m trying to fit a new light but am having a problem, i have 3 red and black wires with earths but there is a single black wire on it,s own. have tried to connect with red and black in new fitting but nothing happened, have tried all red and black wires seperatley but havent used the single black one. i,ve checked my fuses and there ok so i havent blown a fuse by doing this. any help would be appreciated.

Do you know about loop-in wiring? One of those blacks may be a switched live and thus shouldn't be connected to the neutrals (sounds like what you've done), this will create a dead short when the switch is pressed.

The loose black, as andy said, may be a neutral for an outside light, or a wall light switched seperately. Look in the switch for a single red for clues of this. What exactly isn't working by not having this wire connected?

Is the single black wire double insulated after it has left the light fitting?

Sponsored Links
cheers for the reply lads, the switch doesnt control an outside light, it,s in living room where there are two lights. it was in loop system when i took it out to put new light up. NOW NONE OF MY CEILING LIGHTS WORK !!!!!!! dont know where to conect the single black wire . :oops:

You will need one to sort out this problem. Alternatively you could contact an electrician to help you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back