Country
United Kingdom
good idea or not?

an advantage would be more cables allowed

disadvantage would be stripping everything down

what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Stripping everything down?

Do you mean twin and earth? If so why not use singles?

I think you should buy single core cables rather than stripping t+e. :confused:

Sponsored Links
yea it was just a thought.
gotta job coming up with a load of outdoor wiring and thought it would look much neater in conduit. If i used singles, how big do you think the conduit would need to be to carry a 4mm radial and a 2.5mm ring?

There are cable factors in the OSG to BS7671 which are used for this purpose.

how big do you think the conduit would need to be to carry a 4mm radial and a 2.5mm ring?

Don't forget that you'll need to consider grouping factors when you do your cable calculations. So you may find that it is not a 4mm radial and a 2,5mm ring after all!

You could, but FFS why would you ?

New engine in a car with failed MOT springs to mind.

Do the job correctly, stop trying to fudge part of the works.

existing ring main is there and i need to take it outside in conduit.
what would you suggest?

If you need to extend the circuit, do it at a socket outlet, rather than using crimps.

I would be looking to run a seperate circuit outside, you know what effect the weather can have when it creaps in!!!!!!!!

However if you want to extend the ring then like suggested do it from a socket rather than crimping or do it as a fused spur!

Dont forget PVC conduit isnt UV stable therefore can become brittle when exposed the the sunlight.

IME, black PVC conduit is OK.

I installed some in 1984 outside my father's house. It's still in excellent condition today. Slightly faded, I grant you, but it's not lost any of its physical strength.

I even tested it recently (last winter!!) with a hammer and it is still impact resistant.

Ah thats interesting. Was just what I was taught at college, have not been around long enough to test it long term, I wasnt even thought of in 1984 haha!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back