Single storey to two storey side extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 4 years ago we had a single side extension that had the existing single detached garage joined to the main property as show in the attached picture. A second picture also shows the rear of the property.

single storey side extension picture 1.jpg
single storey side extension - rear picture 2.jpg

On the council planning pages it says "To avoid the terracing effect that sometimes occurs when two-storey extensions are built to the boundary of the site, a one-metre gap should normally be retained between the extension and the site boundary".

As the single storey sits right on the boundary to our next door neighbour would planning have a problem with adding a second storey based on the 1 metre boundary rule? I know it says in the above quoted text a one-metre gad should normally be retained but in my case there is nothing to be retained. So I was wondering if there would be any potential exception in my case given the existing extension already is on the boundary as was the previous single detached garage?

My next door neighbours property has a pathway to their rear garden more easily seen in the second picture which is more than 1 metre at the closest point.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
The 1m gap is very common amongst LPA’s and is normally applicable to first floor side or two storey side extensions. Single storey side extensions/elements can extend to the boundary but the first floor element would still need to provide that 1m gap, which in your case would be achieved by steels supporting the new first floor side wall.

However and due to the orientation of your plot and relationship to the neighbouring detached property, the LPA may be a little more relaxed on the requirement. Nobody here can say whether or not it would be approved without a gap, so you may as well just chance it and see what the LPA say. If other properties in the locality are in similar situations, then that will help but not guarantee approval.

Would not have thought terracing effect applicable since houses are at angled to each other but BC are best to advise. Your main issue may be whether your garage foundations were designed to support 2 storeys and whether neighbour will object due to loss of light to upstairs window.

The 1m gap is very common amongst LPA’s and is normally applicable to first floor side or two storey side extensions. Single storey side extensions/elements can extend to the boundary but the first floor element would still need to provide that 1m gap, which in your case would be achieved by steels supporting the new first floor side wall.

However and due to the orientation of your plot and relationship to the neighbouring detached property, the LPA may be a little more relaxed on the requirement. Nobody here can say whether or not it would be approved without a gap, so you may as well just chance it and see what the LPA say. If other properties in the locality are in similar situations, then that will help but not guarantee approval.

Thanks DevilDamo. So from what you say and I envisage the portion of the roof of the current side extension on the boundary side would remain in place and the first floor would be set in by 1 metre?

Sponsored Links
Would not have thought terracing effect applicable since houses are at angled to each other but BC are best to advise. Your main issue may be whether your garage foundations were designed to support 2 storeys and whether neighbour will object due to loss of light to upstairs window.

I think the side window is for where the stairs are as I think it is banisters I can see and the window is quite a bit lower than the upstairs room windows.

Thanks DevilDamo. So from what you say and I envisage the portion of the roof of the current side extension on the boundary side would remain in place and the first floor would be set in by 1 metre?

Correct, something along the lines of the attached albeit handed obviously.

As for the loss of daylight, etc... LPA’s would only consider that to habitable rooms along with Kitchen/Dining areas. So windows that serve stairs, W.C.’s, En-suites and Bathrooms would be ignored.

Attachments

• FEEA92EC-9CCC-4918-B89E-2E5EDF38C0CC.jpeg
    FEEA92EC-9CCC-4918-B89E-2E5EDF38C0CC.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 302
I think the side window is for where the stairs are as I think it is banisters I can see and the window is quite a bit lower than the upstairs room windows
whether neighbour will object due to loss of light to upstairs window.

Maybe useful info?
Recently attended a planning meeting, where a neighbour wantes to extend out, and up 3 stories.
The immediate neighbours house would of had all side windows 1m away from a 3 story wall.

One of their objections was loss of light.

I was surprised when the planning authority said that didnt apply, as the windows to be overshadowed where not primary habitable rooms (they were hallway and bathroom windows)...

That may help

How could things be done to support a second storey if not enough foundational support?

As for the loss of daylight, etc... LPA’s would only consider that to habitable rooms along with Kitchen/Dining areas. So windows that serve stairs, W.C.’s, En-suites and Bathrooms would be ignored.

That was a good picture to illustrate what I was thinking. The border for my property with the neighbour is a little awkward as shown in the attached...

I might have to set the rear corner back so 1 metre is observed and I am looking at possibly extending both the 1st and 2nd storeys at the front of the property by about 1.5 metres anyway which will still mean it is set back at the front.

Attachments

• map.JPG
    map.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 260
How could things be done to support a second storey if not enough foundational support?

A structural engineer can design some steel beams and columns that sit on pad foundations. That may work out cheaper than underpinning.

One interesting slant to this is that a friend of mine (in the same village) had a second storey added above his 1st storey without issue without having to set back 1m at the side. Attached is a picture of what the house with a straight(ish) red line to illustrate what I mean. I also found the planning report and highlighted what they said about the 1m "rule".

Attachments

• house.JPG
    house.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 307
  • council.JPG
    council.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 306
One interesting slant to this is that a friend of mine (in the same village) had a second storey added above his 1st storey without issue without having to set back 1m at the side. Attached is a picture of what the house with a straight(ish) red line to illustrate what I mean. I also found the planning report and highlighted what they said about the 1m "rule".

Can you link to his approved drawings?

While I agree that the guidance is unlikely to be applicable here, who are BC, and what might they have to say on the matter?

It appears they were referring to Building Control but obviously they have nothing to do with the Planning guidelines. The only time BC would come into it would be the unprotected areas should any windows be proposed to that side elevation.

It may be because the path (which I assume belongs to the neighbour) creates that visual separation and it’s highly unlikely that neighbour would submit an application for a 1m wide two storey extension.

The LPA will always caveat applications that each is determined on its own merits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back