Site hoarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on starting a side extension later this year. Living near a school with an open driveway, I'd like to put some hoarding up at the front/side, both for privacy/security reasons, and for safety reasons.

I have a 14 metre run, split into 3m, 8m, 3m in a U shape.

I like the look of the blue wooden board type, but a couple of the hoarding companies I've asked aren't interested due to the size. Any tips on how to achieve do this DIY without too much effort? Do you builder types just carry a pile of the stuff from job to job? I don't much like the look of covered Herras fencing, by the way.

Site_hoarding_2017.jpg

Sponsored Links
It'll cost you...have a look at prices for shuttering ply, 3 x 2 (rails) and 4x4 (posts). Plus you may get problems if you put it up next to a road (its a fence really).
What are you trying to achieve?

You might be lucky and get some damaged board cheap

A couple of coats of paint and it will look respectable.

Sponsored Links
I tend to do this by a combination of osb sheets, fixed to masonary structures wherever possible to avoid setting posts in the ground, and deferring demolishing existing walls where possible while continuing the new build and only knocking them down when I have to

Bear in mind if it blows over and damages people of property you'd be responsible ! Especially if youve built it.

Lol. It's 4x4 fence posts and 6x4 ply sheets, some 6x1 rails and a tin of grey paint.

Hoarding companies. :rolleyes:

What are you trying to achieve?
Is as per the original post really. The drive is 6 metres deep so I'll have foundation trenches that far away from where 50 primary school children walk every day.

Equally it'll be a long diy build and I prefer a bit of privacy rather than everything being on display to neighbours and miscreants.

Lol. It's 4x4 fence posts and 6x4 ply sheets, some 6x1 rails and a tin of grey paint.

Hoarding companies.

Yeah fair do's. It's probably a bit of wishful thinking. My to do list is long enough without 'paint 10 osb sheets dark blue'. Etc.

Bear in mind if it blows over and damages people of property you'd be responsible ! Especially if youve built it.

Yeah, fair point. As per 23cv's suggestion I can tie it in to a wall at both ends, but it'll need to be a sturdy job.

I like the look of the blue wooden board type, but a couple of the hoarding companies I've asked aren't interested due to the size. Any tips on how to achieve do this DIY without too much effort? Do you builder types just carry a pile of the stuff from job to job? I don't much like the look of covered Herras fencing, by the way.

You get stuff that is a bit like heras fencing, but has box profile instead of mesh. You might be lucky and get a pile second hand, which could be sold on afterwards. It would need good bracing to make it windproof.

https://safefence.co.uk/portable-temporary-fencing/steel-site-hoarding.html

Can you find some second hand? I get mine from a place near Bath. Its £6 per 8x4 board and a couple of quid for 2x4 rails. Comes with a few nails which is a minor pain but also cones pre painted. Usually battleship grey but the last batch I had was blue and white.

A house near me is being renovated. From left to right, they have demolished a gate post and part of a wall to make the left hand drive entrance wider, filling it with ply gates. Then a ply fence all the way to the second entrance. The right hand side is closed with heras fencing and screening, you can see the skip behind .
The point is that they seem to have managed to build a fence with few issues and I imagine nobody's going to complain about an 8 foot fence which hides a building site, and planners will recognise the difference between a hoarding and a fence that's too tall

Can you find some second hand? I get mine from a place near Bath. Its £6 per 8x4 board and a couple of quid for 2x4 rails. Comes with a few nails which is a minor pain but also cones pre painted. Usually battleship grey but the last batch I had was blue and white.

That's exactly what I need... I'll see if I can find a place around here, otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and get my paint brush out.

Herras fencing would be the cheapest option. Are you that bothered by how it looks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back