Size of steel needed to support a small mono pitch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, i have a small lean-to outbuilding that currently has a door and a window next to each other, i want to enlarge the opening and use it as a garage. this would mean removing a central block column that is helping to support the rafters.

Im trying to ascertain what size of steel to place across the opening. the load will only be a small mono pitch roof (4m x 4m) approx with clay tiles and the rafters are resting on a wall plate.
short of getting structural engineers on site for what is a pretty small job, can anyone point me in the right direction for calculating the size of steel needed to bridge the gap, the span will be approx 2.6m.

Im thinking i might be ok with something like 152 x 89 x 16.

Sponsored Links
Structural work requires building regs and building regs will expect a copy of the structural engineers calculation to place on file.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back