sizing boiler - two boilers?

A combi when he has a shower room and a bathroom ???

Nor does he say that he is working to a tight budget. In fact planning a heat only boiler and an unvented implies he is doing it correctly without any intention to skimp the job to save money!

Tony

You should try reading his post again, he's not suggesting a combi runs the complete house.

Sponsored Links
I'm turning a 3.3x3.3 bedrrom into a 1x3.3 airing cupboard and a 2.3x3.3 en-suite the airing cupboard is to house the boiler, unented and associated pipework, all with access panels or easy lift floors for maintenance. Room is at the front of the house on first floor. This will feed the next door en-suite which will have the 'main shower' of the house with overhead rain shower and hand held shower outlet, both of which need to operate at the same time and which'll be used by me and the wife morning and evening (4x)

Well then have a family bathroom in centre of the house which''ll have a bath and seperate shower. This will be the main bathroom used to bath the toddler and a guest bathroom if anyone stays over.

Then we have to rooms on the second floor that we hope to excile the kids to when a) we have a second and B) they are old enough. Each room has room for a (very small) shower room/ ensuite.

So potentially 4 showers to deal with in all likelyhood never all used at the same time.

Current heating is being supplied by a floor standing gas boiler in the kitchen that must be older than me! And the DHW by the aga type range cooker and the boiler as backup. Aga thing is going next weekend to make way for a cooker you can cook on and in, and boiler will be retired once new heating is up and running.

Electrics are being rewired as I go and the airing cupboard now houses a consumer unit for the power for the first and second floors, having had three phase laid on I at Christmas. Downstairs is on a sepearate phase, garage on three phase.

Budget is nowhere near enough to do what we need to do ;) but looking to do things as right as we aim for this to be our family home for some time to come.

I've the typical man disease of preffering to spend my money on sexy shiny things, not dull stufff like lead flashing on roofs: though I'm bright enough to understand that kind of thing needs to be done!
I also realise I have champage taste but beer money to spend (and yes, I love that phrase too!)

House will be zoned into at least top, middle, bottom, towel rails and DHW.

Boiler meds to be mid range...good value for money. Not fall apart as soon as its installed but not unjustifyably expensive.

All the work (where legally possible) is being done DIY as we could either 'do' two/three rooms by throwing tradesmen at it or nearly all of it by doing it DIY...

I also enjoy doing it and am pretty competent when I understand what needs doing (and more importantly why) which is why I ask so many questions
I got my invented ticket a couple of weeks ago so can fit and service tank etc...why pay up for a lifetime or 25 year guarantee only to void it by not having it serviced...and why pay to have it fitted and serviced when I can do that myself.

hope this explains my position and why i may seem like I'm trying to do this on a very tight budget whilst wanting to do it 'properly'

Thanks for all the help so far. It's all very much appreciated!

Neil

The Atag is worth the money, the quality is really good but pound for pound I reckon an Intergas 36/30 Combi is best value if you're doing it on a budget.

A combi when he has a shower room and a bathroom ???

Nor does he say that he is working to a tight budget. In fact planning a heat only boiler and an unvented implies he is doing it correctly without any intention to skimp the job to save money!

Note many of the whole house heat loss programs do include the 2 kW for hot water in the output figure.

Tony

Thanks AgiIe, yes, I'm looking to do it properly and god to see my idea of heat only and invented still carries merrit. But budget is tight. Conflicting remits, but I'm looking for a good solid reliable solution just without gold-plating it :)

Sponsored Links
I don't understand why thermal stores are dismissed out of hand, when they are on a par cost wise with unvented, they look the same, generally have better recovery times and larger ones in properties with good mains flow can fill a bath in 3 minutes. A properly installed 450 litre store maintained @ 65 ° C can provide flow in excess of 25 lpm and over 300 litres of useable hot water. They don't require annual maintenance. I only mentioned this again because your cold mains flow is good.
Just thought you should look a little more closely at the options before testing out your unvented ticket.... ;)

Thermal store acceptance seem to be a few years behind unvented which have only in the last few years really gained 'normality' I guess..

I have a HMO with a 175L unvented with 4 showers and have never had the call saying run out of water apart from on one occassion when I tried to turn the stored water to a lower figure as was trying to optimise the heating to stay in condnensing mode. But I have put flow restrictors on the showers (just to keep running cost reasonable). 300L storage should be ample most cylinders will recover from partial drain off in 20minutes (plus 5 mins under some scenarios if you have a glowworm but thats another issue). I think you should be looking at a boiler that modulates nice and low rather than looking at the upper end kw rating. And of course a good installer

Cheers guys.

Bit late I know, but having done the calcs from a couple of online calculators, I come up with between 24 and 27kw for the house. I guess that's not a very scientific way of doing it but as i;m stuffing in as much insulation as I can when I take up floorboards and take down ceilings, I'm hoping it's going to be over kill not be coming up short.

Also seems to put me back into the <£1000 boiler range as 35kw upward seem to take a hike in price...

Runnign the DHW off the boiler would requrie a combi?? or have i missed a trick? Not keen on combi's. not even that keen on a system boiler...Want a standard and a tank (looking for a nice big fat store of water)

Atag is 1800quid which also pushes pretty far above what I was hoping to pay for the boiler. Is it really worth it that much above a woucester or a viessman?

Out of interest, why recommend a twin coil tank? spoke to a manufacturere yesterday and they said that it coudl be counter productive to run the coils in a solar tank in series...is there another reason?

Cheers for the input though - good to hear all the suggestions :)

System boilers are better than any for most big systems.

So it seams Atag Q series are s semi commercial boiler and overkill for my requirements...that's coming from Atag technical support today! An A series would suffice and they do a 30kw system boiler in that range which was what was reccomended

So the choice seems to be...

ATAG A320S 6.1kw - 30.9kw

Intergas HRE30SB 7.6kw - 27kw

Vaillant Ecotech plus 630 10kw - 30kw

Of these, the Atag seems the best bet as it modulates down farther...or have i missed a point here??

So it seams Atag Q series are s semi commercial boiler and overkill for my requirements...that's coming from Atag technical support today! An A series would suffice and they do a 30kw system boiler in that range which was what was reccomended

Of these, the Atag seems the best bet as it modulates down farther...or have i missed a point here??

Never even heard of Atag, WB 30 CDI would be a good choice and it comes with 5 year warranty
Also the Baxi platinum comes with a 10 year warranty.
You could also use a combi for one side of the house and then have a cylinder as well, use the heating side of the combi to zone the system

Never even heard of Atag, WB 30 CDI would be a good choice and it comes with 5 year warranty
Also the Baxi platinum comes with a 10 year warranty.
You could also use a combi for one side of the house and then have a cylinder as well, use the heating side of the combi to zone the system

That's quite funny :) I started. The thread saying I wanted a wb and it got negative response, with suggestions for stag, vaillant and intergas seeming the popular choices...intergas certainly seems to get good press on other threads...

No combos for me thanks...system boiler is about as complex as I'm wanting to go :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back