Sky arial for freeview

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does any one know if a redundant sky ariel can be used as a digital arial for LCD TV with freeview built in.

Wolfboy

Sponsored Links
I did try converting the socket and plugging it, but no joy. Still worth a try!

it will be suitable for freesat though but of course you need a freesat box

Sponsored Links
At the moment I have an old analogue ariel, which works with some of the freeview stations but others keep breaking up and freezing. (the good news is that Dave has good reception.)

To anyone....

So how is a digital ariel different? and isn't the sky ariel a digital ariel?

You may be able to get a better signal out of your current aerial, do you have any form of amplifier connected to it at the moment ?

Depending on where you live and the quality of your current aerial you could well just need a signal amplifier.

No such thing as a digital aerial. There are however wide band aerials which in some areas are more suited to digital transmissions than the old much smaller narrow band aerials. However they are also more effected by high wind and atmospheric discharge.

Terrestrial aerials work with UHF signals but satellite aerials work in giga hertz range plus the satellite aerials need power.

Yes I think that's worth a try, maybe Argos so I can take it back if it doesn't work.

It's strange that the separate freeview box that I used with the old TV worked fine with the analogue ariel , but not with freeview built into the LCD TV.

spme tuners are more sensitive and/or less internally noisy than others. This applies just as much to freeview tuners as it does to analog ones.

My TV a Panasonic is far better than old Thomson set top box and my free to air boxes are better than Sky boxes with satellite.

With old analogue sets I noticed portable sets seemed to be more sensitive than large heavy units. And my free to air box is also 12 volt designed as portable so that also seems more sensitive than 230 volt Sky+ box.

As above, your "sky Ariel" picks up signals from a satellite. For Freeview you need to pick up signal from a terrestrial transmitter - therefore you need an aerial not a dish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back