Slave Doctors

Maximum hours in a day ?

Hours between shifts ?

Rest periods over 2 weeks ?

Any other regs override them, like driving regs etc

Sponsored Links
Oh, I see what you are asking - No they are separate - the opt out is a legal waver to max hours per week. Btw. There is no obligation for an employer to pay for breaks etc.

The statement made was:
They get these people to sign a piece of paper that is intended to get around the working time directive. Actually I was given one of those once the directive was announced. I signed it on the basis that I can't sign away my rights under law.
If you sign the waiver you are exactly waiving your right to max working time limit. It is mistaken to say you can't waive legal rights (which can be true in general). For this specific legal right you can and it is a valid waiver. The reference to a "Piece of paper" I took as implication that it was not a valid agreement.

Rather similar to receiving a payment that effectively limited my ability to change job.
On the second subject of payment/bonus for non-compete agreements, that is less straight forward. The duration and scope of the agreement would need to withstand the reasonableness test and not conflict with an ex-employee's right to find work. However, once payments are on the table then they are generally more enforceable.

Anything up to 6 months with a defined list of competitors and competitor activities is generally acceptable, along with non-solicitation agreements (customers and staff). Obviously your ex-employer's IP and confidential material is much easier to protect. I'm currently working a case enforcing such a theft.

Last edited:
Oh, I see what you are asking - No they are separate - the opt out is a legal waver to max hours per week. Btw. There is no obligation for an employer to pay for breaks etc.

The statement made was:

If you sign the waiver you are exactly waiving your right to max working time limit. It is mistaken to say you can't waive legal rights (which can be true in general). For this specific legal right you can and it is a valid waiver. The reference to a "Piece of paper" I took as implication that it was not a valid agreement.

On the second subject of payment/bonus for non-compete agreements, that is less straight forward. The duration and scope of the agreement would need to withstand the reasonableness test and not conflict with an ex-employee's right to find work. However, once payments are on the table then they are generally more enforceable.

Anything up to 6 months with a defined list of competitors and competitor activities is generally acceptable, along with non-solicitation agreements (customers and staff). Obviously your ex-employer's IP and confidential material is much easier to protect. I'm currently working a case enforcing such a theft.
So it isn't as simple as you suggested.

I was responding to the claim:
I signed it on the basis that I can't sign away my rights under law.
You absolutely can sign out of the cap. Yes its that simple. You should not sign an opt out on the belief it is an invalid disclaimer, which appeared to be the view. This is not a complicated piece of law.

Non-competes are entirely separate as are confidentiality and retention of IP.

Sponsored Links
They get these people to sign a piece of paper that is intended to get around the working time directive. Actually I was given one of those once the directive was announced. I signed it on the basis that I can't sign away my rights under law. Rather similar to receiving a payment that effectively limited my ability to change job. A group of us did get legal advice on that one. The working time directive may also be viewed in a different way. Some one can work excessive hours if they want. NHS, broadcasted on BBC.

I willingly signed, I was always used to working long and often irregular hours and quite enjoyed the unpredictability, providing companies are reasonable.

I remember opting out when it came in. it changed nothing. I was working stupid hours and driving thousands of miles every week. I used to get through a company car every 18 months because of the mileage.

Jeez! If Nuffield are employing Nigerians I think I'll get my veins done elsewhere.
There's nearly 200,000 foreign doctors working in the NHS. :D
Burt don't worry, despite your greatest fear, they're not out to get you. :ROFLMAO:

Legislation is meaningless unless enforced , which it isn’t .
Sister in law does 3x 15hour shifts including nights without any time off at either end as a carer and gets calls to work on her day off .

Legislation is meaningless unless enforced , which it isn’t .
Sister in law does 3x 15hour shifts including nights without any time off at either end as a carer and gets calls to work on her day off .
whilst I agree with your comment, she does have grounds to not work those hours. and yes I know it's not that simple in real life

enforcement would be better

whilst I agree with your comment, she does have grounds to not work those hours. and yes I know it's not that simple in real life

enforcement would be better
Agree, but she is more concerned about the poor care those in her care get when she is absent .The company in charge of the care home are happy to have high turnover of staff if it keeps down cost .

Agree, but she is more concerned about the poor care those in her care get when she is absent .The company in charge of the care home are happy to have high turnover of staff if it keeps down cost .
Abuse of loyalty

Sponsored Links
Back