Sliding shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build a new shed in my garden. Only a small affair, about 4x3 foot. It's going to stand on a concrete slab. Straight forward enough you may think. Now the interesting bit. It's to house a telescope so I need to be slide (roll) the shed out of the way to use the scope. We are in quite an exposed area and regularly get winds of up to 70mph. I need a way of easily(quickly) securing the shed to the floor. Can anyone suggest any ways of doing this. Is anyone aware of any off the shelf fittings that may work?

Sponsored Links
You will need some form of slider rails, such as a slotted channel for both sides of the shed. These need to be bolted to the ground and the shed mounted on them by means of coach bolts through the shed sole plate. Tighten the bolts to stop the shed being blown about when not in use and slacken them to slide the shed out of the way.

Perhaps find someone local who is flogging an up-and-over garage door - some of which run internally on a roller track at ceiling height. Adapt acordingly! I'd break out the welding gear make up a steel frame then bolt your shed down to it. Weather-proof/ ZINC 182 as required.

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd think eye bolts cast or screwed into the concrete base, then straps or rods that can be attached and tightened.

Have a look at yachtsmens shrouds for holding the mast upright. They are often stainless rod now, rather than a wire rope with a turn buckle and shackles

There might be a quick release or overcentre latch you could use for the hold-down.

At that size you could perhaps pivot the enclosure and tip it back for use, instead of rolling it.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I had thought of slider rails but it was the clamping down that I was struggling with. I don't really want to be messing about with bolts if I can avoid it, especially if I need to clamp it down in the dark. However I did a Google of overcentre latch and all sorts of goodies turned up which would probably work with the slider. Particularly some of the cam latches like those used for bicycle seats.
Some people do use sliding roofs but I would still need to lash down the roof. It would probably be easier than the sliding shed but i would prefer to slide the shed out of the way.

I like the idea of using the slides of a garage door, however whilst I can turn my hand to most things, I could never get my head round welding.

Look at flight case handles. They pull down and then lock as the butterfly handle is turned.
https://www.adamhall.com/shop/gb-en/flight-case-material/latches/butterflies/318/17251-s

A jobbing welder could knock you up something but to be honest you could make something "meccano" style that relied on nuts and bolts.

flints
https://www.flints.co.uk/content/catalog
Supply rollers that could be used with inverted angle iron as a rail, or use unistrut buried in concrete to act as tram rails for non castoring castors.

Would it not work to have a fixed shed and a roof that opens - hinges, or lifts off?

looked at this several time
it wont work without purpose engineered structure
a "shed " with no base or an open end wall to slide and clear a telescope will have no rigidity
you will need a fairly well designed probably quite expensive structure to slide clear
now the open roof idea can work better as you need to reinforce the structure to be secure with an open roof that will be far easier and cheaper than a sliding structure

think off a cardboard box in a complete box state its very solid
with an open top a bit wobbly with open base and end it a pile off cardboard

I have looked on YouTube and several people have built what is effectively a shed with an attached pergola type structure the same size. Add a pair of rails and a garage door opener to pull/push the roof from one to another. Sitting the roof on a frame for rigidity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back