Small compost bin management?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just avoided taking a large fabric bag of grass cuttings to the front for collection by the Council.

I have found a squarish bin a little shorter than a wheelie bin to be used as a compost bin.

My questions are is it best to cover it? If so gastight with polythene or just a loose fitting cover?

Then would it be better to try to insulate it a bit to allow it to get a little hotter? Or just to leave it as it happens?

Sponsored Links
loose fitting lid, need to keep it moist though, also, pure grass cuttings becomes a slimy compost, add leaves or even shredded paper to allow it to compost better.

I compost as much as I can. I think the composter should be open at the bottom so that the compost is in contact with the ground, the lids on mine are loose fitting.
I put most of my household veggie stuff in it, grass cutting etc. I don't put things like sweetcorn kernels, stones from peaches and things like that as they take forever to break down.
I never put food leftovers in it as it attracts furry animals.

I compost on the allotment and it's open to the ground below and covered with a plastic sheet. One thing not often mentioned is to site the compost heap in a shady or dappled shaddy area which will help stop it from drying out in the summer. A loose fitting cover is fine just to keep the worst of the rain off as if it gets too wet it will become anerobic. Mix green and brown materials when you compost. Grass cuttings are high in nitrogen hence why they turn to sludge when left in a heap. Do not get carried away with the term 'hot compost' this is not achievable for most people as it requires a large amount of the correctly portioned waste materials all added at the same time. Most people cold compost which takes longer but works just as well.

Sponsored Links
if you have a lot of grass cuttings, you can use them as a mulch round your vegetables (after hoeing off the weeds). several inches thick will smother new weed growth but will dry in the sun into a cohesive mat and not go slimy.

In contact with the ground, the worms will take it down for you to improve the soil and it will not need digging in

You can do the same with horse muck (wood shaving bedding) if you have it and it will not smell unpleasant. it is full of nitrogenous urine that balances the carbon in the shavings.

when the worms take it down, apply some more.

this will also give you an unending supply of useful baler twine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back