Small Decorative Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am struggling to find some small switches and I was wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction?

I am going to put two small bed side lights, they are a rustic brass finish. We have two wardrobes either side of our bed and the lights are going to be fastened to the outside of the wardrobes so that they shine onto the bed.

I am trying to find a small decorative switch to suit. I am scouring the internet but struggling to find what I am after. I have seen what I am looking for on bedside cabinets and fitted wardrobes before - the circular push switch fits on the back of the cabinet so only the switch is showing on the outside and no face plate.

Hopefully someone will know what I am talking about! lol

Sponsored Links
They are like the type of thing I am after, they are more elaborate than I was expecting but very nice!
Also wasn't expecting them to be so expensive! :eek: lol
I am after just the switch but with no back plate, with the wiring on the inside of the wardrobe.

Sponsored Links
MKK4848P.JPG

Architrave switch?

Get a couple of latching relays with mains rated contacts and 12V coils, a 12V PSU and use bell pushes.

I'd advise having 2 switches each side so that if your partner falls asleep with their light on you can turn it off, and vice-versa.

That's just reminded me of my foray into "auto-alimentation" which is still up and running in my 3 boy's bedrooms today!

A good few years ago, I stayed in my sister's house in Brittany. Her place there has many multi-switched lights, with ptm switches & relays using this very system.

As you say, the local sparks call it auto-alimentation.

I have used this very system at home to switch the kid's bed-side lamps.

Each kid's bedroom has a din-rail enclosure fitted with a 24V selv supply & a relay.

There is a ptm switch by the door (MK "push" switch) and a Friedland "floating" bell push on a cord by the bed.

Like the auto-alimentation relays, each "pulse" (ie each press of a ptm switch) operates the relay.

So, push one to switch the light on, push again, the light turns off. Brilliant!

The only downside is the "clunk!" as the relay kicks in & out. Maybe they should be in the loft, but that was not practical at the time...

In fact, if the noise problem could be addressed, I could be tempted to use the system elsewhere in the house.

The one downside is cost. Each relay was round the £30 mark. :cry:

In fact, you could go one better: Use a Friedland D6432 brass push. It is illuminated, though, which will not work on a 24V supply...

http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/563978-lit-push-button-brass

But, it is expensive and the relay goes clunk every time you operate the push. It could go in the loft, though...

I got the relays from here: http://www.willow.co.uk/html/relays.html

Need a 24V tranny, too.

Extra low voltage ( 12 volts ) for the switches with relays or similar controlling the 230 volt circuits is a valid method. Just make sure the separation between the 12 volt and the 230 volt circuits in the power supply unit and the relays is adequate to ensure safety. Use 12 volt DC as AC relays can sometimes humm or buzz.. Mechanical relays are better if low energy lamps are being used as solid state relays will leak a bit of current resulting in LEDs glowing dimly when OFF and CFLs flashing when OFF.

On a wattle and daub wall where chasing was no possible. Four switches and three dimmer / timer controls connected by 12 core alarm cable. ( which will be pinned to the door frame to make it even less conspicuous.

The present wall paper is probably holding the wall together so it isn't being removed ( at least not until I can afford to rebuild the wall if necessary ) , but yes good quality foil or even ribbon cable would remove all signs of cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back