Small garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just after some advice on this project. Have a small garden wall to build out of block. I'm sure that I should should lay them flat. Is this right or do people think I could get away with laying them on their side 3 course high and single skin?

Another quick question is what is the best way to lay the blocks in the second picture to achieve the curve as outlined by the founds.

Appreciate any advice cheers

Attachments

• 20190321_130522.jpg
    20190321_130522.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 232
  • 20190321_130456.jpg
    20190321_130456.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 233
Sponsored Links
I guess so, although the current soil etc that is there has been there for some time without a wall and has retained its structure just fine so in that sense I'm not sure how much retaining strength is required

Sponsored Links
As it's still going to be retaining some soil I would make it a 9 inch wall. If the curves are really tight you could use some concrete commons or engineering commons bonded into the blockwork.
Drainage at the back can help as well.

Single skin may be OK as the soil is largely held together by the existing tree roots. But it will depend on how you want to finish the top of the wall - the bit you will see.

If you want to see just a single skin coping, or want to save money, then you could build the bottom 1/3 or up to the lower ground level in double skin, and then reduce to single.

But for that part with the daffs, single will certainly do strength-wise.

For tight curves, you need to use half blocks not full ones. You can lay flat or vertical, but you wont need the extra strength or want to use the extra mortar from laying flat blocks

Thanks Woody. So just to clarify. If I laid either the bottom course or bottom two courses double skin I could then lay the top course single skin. I'm guessing this provides a bit more strength than fully single skin but not quite as much as laying them flat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back