Small hole in new roof felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No idea whether the builders did it or me... either way there is a small hole in the felt.

I know it’s a secondary barrier and with it being a new build it’s not like the tiles should fail, but I want to fix it.

Can you get adhesive patches or something for this kind of problem?

270919F3-C8A9-4670-BA6E-4631C192D71B.jpeg

Sponsored Links
StEng24, good evening.

If it were me, I would "brass my case" and ask the developer / builder to make a repair.

As the tear is inwards pointing it is safe to assume??? [possibly] that whatever occasioned the tear impacted from the outside, the top, an area that you cannot have or get to??

Just a consideration?

And if the Developer / builder says you are too late in notification of the problem, that is outside the "Snagging period" tell them you have only just looked into the loft space??

Ken

Evening Ken, thanks very much for your detailed reply.

Sorry I seem to have missed a few details which may alter your answer... firstly it is the garage roof, and secondly the tear is outward pointing, which given that I just boarded a bit of the roof in their makes me the prime suspect.

I am still within the snagging course period so they may still help me out...

StEng24, good evening again,

You could try to tell them that you only noticed this "Defect" when you were working on the boarding.

OK If all fails, get some really sticky tape and apply to the tear, now carefully nail a bit of timber to the nearest joist. Then gently, very gently push another cutting of timber up against the "Tape" [that is covering the tear] the upward bulge will, if you consider it cause any rain water that has managed to get to the top surface of the felt to be deflected around the "Sealed" tear, after all water does not like to run "Up-Hill" the action of the second piece of timber is to create a hill on the top surface of the felt stopping any rain water from getting to the tear?

Hope that the above makes sense?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Yeah that does make sense Ken thanks.

I guess I could apply some tape to the inside, and then use a long flat ‘tool’ and slide it down the overlap of the above felt to press the original felt to the tape?

call the makers of the membrane, or any local roofing suppliers, and ask what patching outfit they would recomend.this is v. common and can be fixed from on top best or below if you dont fancy climbing.

Foil [insulation]tape will seal the hole, very stickyy and heat and water proof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back