small size of screw in new sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've purchased a new double socket to replace an old one, but I've noticed that the screws to clamp the cables are much smaller than the one that's being replaced. The size of the hole to insert the cables is fine it's just that the screw is smaller and it just does not feel as secure.

The new socket is a Crabtree and therefore can anyone recommend a different make which has larger/more secure clamps.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I know the time has probably passed for sensible comment, but I fail to see why everyone rates MK so highly. Their sockets aren't bad, but I probably can't count on one hand the number of times I've had problems with their FCUs and, more specifically, the rubbish fuse carrier design that will often fail to screw securely into place flush with the rest of the accessory.

Personally I use nothing else. The FCUs are fine. I've never had a problem. Maybe you are doing it wrong?

I know the time has probably passed for sensible comment, but I fail to see why everyone rates MK so highly. Their sockets aren't bad, but I probably can't count on one hand the number of times I've had problems with their FCUs and, more specifically, the rubbish fuse carrier design that will often fail to screw securely into place flush with the rest of the accessory.
I had issue with an FCU, it was an unswitched one, so just a fuse. All the terminals were in a line, which I found slightly confusing when wiring it with limited space, I had to keep pulling it away slightly to see the terminal markings, which were obscured by the terminals themselves IIRC.

And the light switches are confusing too. Three terminals in a line. Its awkward if dealing with existing wiring and the previous electrician cut the cores short for a traditional "triangle" switch. You have to concentrate on what you're doing, its very easy to mix up the terminals (until you get used to them i guess)

I have personally used MK Sockets and switches, and think they are great - nice secure terminal screws, and safety features are good.

The FCU's are fine, you just need to gently press against the fuseholder, whilst screwing in the holder retaining screw.

I've had a couple of light switches which came with the screws so tight that they sheared off when I tried to turn them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back