Smart Meter Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Parents who are old are finally having a smart meter install - both electric and gas. They have had a new boiler, alarm and hive system all installed - what happens after the power and gas is switched off and then back on?

Do I have to reset everything remotely or should everything come back online - boiler, heating, hive, alarm etc?

Sponsored Links
Hive will hook back up on it's own when internet comes on and receiver powers up as they are all paired, boiler should too ... can't say about alarm but most of them have a battery back up.

They should check and test everything but always check up on them as many of them don't have the best of reps

Most things will auto reset.
Their oven/cooker probably won't, the time usually needs to be set manually before it will work.

Sponsored Links
Best to turn the boiler off manually (ie use the button or switch on the front of it), let meter lot do their thing and only when they've finished turn boiler back on again and make sure it's working properly before the meter lot leave.

Alarm should just reconnect when power is restored, the ones I fit do. Some may need a reset but the keypad should prompt it.

The house alarm will need resetting when the power is off but should come back without intervention when power is restored.

Switch off sensitive electrical equipment​

To be on the safe side, switch off things like your computer, TV and your household alarms before the installation begins. Once the installation is complete, remember to switch the essentials back on again.

For older appliances usually left on all the time, check you know how to get them up and running again - for example, make sure you know how to relight the pilot light in your boiler.

We have quite regular brief power outages were I live and most devices cope OK. The only the oven clocks need resetting afterwards.

Security systems, if they are properly maintained will have a charged 'battery back up' to keep them powered for several hours. However, if the back up battery has failed, then the alarm may sound for a while when the power first goes off and need resetting once power is restored.

We had smart meters installed yesterday, and the installers made sure all gas appliances were working before they started including each of the burners on the gas hob, and checked everything was working again afterwards. Unfortunately they couldn't get the smart meters working, so will need to return at some future date.....

I have had decided to take the day off my parents are in their 80's and will believe any codswallop so I will attend the install - they will be without heat and power in this weather so I may take them to my house and leave the engineers to do their job or should I be present?

Switch off sensitive electrical equipment​

To be on the safe side, switch off things like your computer, TV and your household alarms before the installation begins. Once the installation is complete, remember to switch the essentials back on again.

For older appliances usually left on all the time, check you know how to get them up and running again - for example, make sure you know how to relight the pilot light in your boiler.

Its a brand new boiler - well about 8 months old I think - I thought they don't have pilot lights anymore.

It's a Viessman boiler.

Alarm should just reconnect when power is restored, the ones I fit do. Some may need a reset but the keypad should prompt it.

I think that happened recently after a power outage - the backup battery had failed and was swapped out by the installer and everything was working again.

However I don't think my parents even set the alarm when going out even though the keypad is next to the entrance! I know they have an autodialler as it rings me!

I have had decided to take the day off my parents are in their 80's and will believe any codswallop so I will attend the install - they will be without heat and power in this weather so I may take them to my house and leave the engineers to do their job or should I be present?

It shouldn't be necessary, if all goes to plan, heat will be back within the hour. Wise though, to be prepared to move them if things do go wrong.

I was in attendance, even provided the installer with a couple of old milk crates to sit on and a cushion, to save his back stooping whist he did the swap.

So they never came for the install, didn't even call to cancel or rebook, I called them to complain but it went nowhere lets see if they turn up tomorrow and if they fail again to turn up then I am not spending more days off chasing these numbskulls.

So they never came for the install, didn't even call to cancel or rebook, I called them to complain but it went nowhere lets see if they turn up tomorrow and if they fail again to turn up then I am not spending more days off chasing these numbskulls.

They should pay you a failed appointment fee, unless they warned you ahead of time that they couldn't attend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back