smart meters resisted

Until last year I worked on the smart meter program in IT for a supply so speak from experience here.
Thank you CharlieB . It does say in the terms (for the best tariff for me with eon ) that I agree to have smart meters fitted. The point is I don't want to be tied to eon so they can charge what they like and want to be free to change supplier but the bit that concerns me is where they say :-
Also if your smart energy display becomes faulty, your new supplier may not be able to replace it.'
What would happen then, how would anybody take meter readings, would I have to pay to have new meters installed somehow :?::!:

Sponsored Links
We had East Anglia Water turn up on our doorstep about 3 months ago to do a site visit for a water meter.
Told them we didn't want one and they, at first, insisted we had no choice. I told them it wasn't my decision as it is rented property. "Oh that's ok, we only need the residents permission, not the owners."

Me: Well I don't give it because I don't want one."
Them: But you can't refuse.
Me: Well why do you need my permission?
Them: We just do.
Me: Well I refuse to give it.
Them: But you have to, it's the law.
Me: Can I have another look at your badge please?
Them: Why?
Me: So when I phone your boss I can give him the details or the pillock that doesn't understand the English language.
Them. So you are refusing?
Me: I am refusing in the capaciry of being a tenant, not the owner.
Them: So are you refusing to have a meter fitted?
Me: Yes.
Them: But as you are the tenant you don't have the right to refuse.
Me: Be careful reversing out, there is a blind bend just outside the gates.
I then walked back in doors.

You couldn't make it up even if you were writing a comedy sketch!

your only tied in if you sign up to a fixed 1yr/2yr deal - nothing to do with the smart meter. these are normally fixed price for that period too so it wont change.

the smart energy display is nothing to do with readings or the meter. its simply a little screen that you plug in and gives the homeowner nice pictures, warnings and figures on usage. - mine's been sat in a draw unused since the install- doesn't affect function at all.

What would happen then, how would anybody take meter readings, would I have to pay to have new meters installed somehow :?::!:
As has been said, I presume that they are just talking about the 'remote display'. If, after you moved to a different supplier, the actual ('smart') meter became faulty, they would obviously have to replace it - in their interests as much as anything else!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
your only tied in if you sign up to a fixed 1yr/2yr deal - nothing to do with the smart meter. these are normally fixed price for that period too so it wont change.

the smart energy display is nothing to do with readings or the meter. its simply a little screen that you plug in and gives the homeowner nice pictures, warnings and figures on usage. - mine's been sat in a draw unused since the install- doesn't affect function at all.
-
one year fixed tariff which they say is my best deal. If it is only the smart meter that might not work with another supplier I don't give a f**k because I don't want one anyway. As long as it doesn't tie me in to one supplier might as well just have them fitted in accordance with the contract (although I don't think they should be allowed to make smart meters a condition of getting the best tariff :!: ) as long as the meters work. Thanks for all the replies.(y)

... If it is only the smart meter that might not work with another supplier I don't give a f**k because I don't want one anyway....
As has been said, assuming it is a 'second generation' smart meter they're talking about, it's not likely to be even as bad as that - at worst, it is probably only the 'remote display' that might not work if/when you changed suppliers (which I assume would not worry you :) )..
... (although I don't think they should be allowed to make smart meters a condition of getting the best tariff :!: )
If the system/government gets its way, the day will come when you will not be able to get any tariff (i.e. get any electricity!) unless you have a smart meter!

Kind Regards, John

I don't think they are fitting second generation smart meters at the moment.

Well not everyone. So don't assume it is one

I don't think they are fitting second generation smart meters at the moment. Well not everyone. So don't assume it is one
That's true, but the message quoted by the OP only said that it was the "smart meter [I assume 'remote'] display" that a subsequent supplier might not be able to replace if it became faulty (not that the smart meter itself might not 'work' {as a 'smart' meter} with a subsequent supplier) - so that's what led me to think that we probably are talking a out a second generation meter.

Whatever, as I've said, if a new supplier accepts one as a new customer, then it is surely incumbent upon that new supplier to ensure that the installation has a meter which enables the new supply to be satisfactorily metered (replacing existing if/where necessary), isn't it?

Kind Regards, John

satisfactorily yes, that does not necessary mean a working smart meter though
The OP doesn't want a smart meter, 'working' or otherwise.

He wants reassurance that if a 'smart' meter is forced on him by his current supplier, that a subsequent supplier would be able to 'use' it (even if not as a 'smart' meter) or, at least, replace it with something they could use - which, as I've said, I'm sure must be the case. No new supplier would contract to provide him with a supply and then accept a situation in which they would be unable to meter that supply :)

Kind Regards, John

When you changed suppliers before smart meters, that supplier didn’t rush and change the meter.

The only reason they would do it now is if it counted towards the government quota of fitting smart meters and avoiding fines. I’m not sure of the rules around this

When you changed suppliers before smart meters, that supplier didn’t rush and change the meter.
Of course not, because the existing meter still 'worked' - i.e. was able to meter electricity usage for the new supplier.
The only reason they would do it now is if it counted towards the government quota of fitting smart meters and avoiding fines. ...
I don't know for sure, either, but I very much doubt that replacing a smart meter with a smart meter would ever count towards a supplier's quota.

However, you again seem to be missing the nature of the OP's concerns. His present suppliers scaremongering have led him to fear that if he changed supplier, the smart meter might not 'work' for the new supplier. As I've said, if that situation arose (which I very much doubt that it would), just as if the meter subsequently because faulty, that would be another reason for them to replace the meter, since they would not want the supply they had just contracted to provide to go 'unmetered'!!

Kind Regards, John

It is certainly common for version 1 meters, that when you move supplier they stop being smart. Ie the ability for the new supplier to receive reading.

Yeah you can manually access the reading by pressing some buttons on meter and quickly note one of many scrolling readings. But not as Easy as analogue meter

It is certainly common for version 1 meters, that when you move supplier they stop being smart. Ie the ability for the new supplier to receive reading.
Indeed so - so it's then up to the new supplier as to whether they wish to leave it as a 'non-smart' meter, which they cannot 'read' remotely, or replace it with one that they can use as a smart meter.
Yeah you can manually access the reading by pressing some buttons on meter and quickly note one of many scrolling readings.
Indeed - and that's exactly what I (and I suspect millions of others) have to do with my digital electronic non-smart meter - so nothing unusual, and the OP did say at the very start ...
ps I don't expect any benefit from these meters apart from not having to supply meter readings ,which I didn't find too difficult anyway !

Kind Regards, John

I don't think they are fitting second generation smart meters at the moment.

Well not everyone. So don't assume it is one
-
eon did say they are fitting second generation meters ,that was the first thing I asked them when I started considering having them fitted .
Thanks everybody, I didn't expect this much response but a lot of people will be in the same boat I suppose.
ps I assume there isn't a third generation of meters now :!::eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back