smart meters resisted

Only those on E7 !! The 1 year deals are normally cheaper
1-year 'deals' are not usually significant 'deals' (if one chooses one's starting time wisely), since most suppliers only put their prices up once per year, anyway. It's the 2-year and 3-year deals which introduce 'gambling', and which are almost inevitably initially more expensive that standard rates.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Market experts would disagree with you there (for 1 year deals)
I have to say that I find it hard to understand how a supplier is likely to benefit by giving significant discounts to people 'signing up' for just one year (which, in reality, means that you are only tied to them, without losing exit penalties, for 45 weeks).

Kind Regards, John

I guess it’s the way they work together.

High prices for standard customers who don’t shop around

They then compete over 1 year deals which change price at least once per month.

Sometimes once a week !

Sponsored Links
I guess it’s the way they work together. High prices for standard customers who don’t shop around..
It's not just a question who those who don't shop around (to other suppliers) - it's also those who don't even swap to a cheaper deal, for an essentially identical service, with the existing supplier.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ofgem eventually puts a stop to this. As you imply, the standard tariff rate will only be paid by those who don't even bother to change to a lower-priced deal with the same supplier - and since it's probably 'the vulnerable' who are most likely to not realise/know that they are making that mistake, Ofgem might eventually come to take a dim view of that

Kind Regards, John

I think the rule is the supplier should tell you at least once a year (on your bill) if a better deal is available from them.

This is just being introduced for broadband

I think the rule is the supplier should tell you at least once a year (on your bill) if a better deal is available from them.
I believe that's the case - but if, as you suggest, the "1-year fixed-rate" deal is always going to be cheaper than the 'standard variable tariff', why should they be allowed to continue having the latter at all - if you are right, it seems like a tariff which exists only for the exploitation of those unable to realise that they are paying more than they need to!

Kind Regards, John

I suspect that day will come eventually, but I suspect that long long before that happens, all the discount tarrifs will require smart meters and those who insist on refusing upgrades will be stuck with their suppliers "standard" tarrif.
- that was my reason for agreeing to them, because eon said it was a condition of getting the best tariff for me.

I think there was a rule a while ago that suppliers are only allowed to sell 4 tariffs at any one time. To simplify things.

This tends to get broken down to

Standard and no tie in
Online only tariff
Long term tariff eg 2 year
Etc

I have to say that I find it hard to understand how a supplier is likely to benefit by giving significant discounts to people 'signing up' for just one year (which, in reality, means that you are only tied to them, without losing exit penalties, for 45 weeks).
I think the exit penalty on 1 year deal with eon is £30 per fuel, so £60 for gas and electricity obviously.

I think the exit penalty on 1 year deal with eon is £30 per fuel, so £60 for gas and electricity obviously.
That's pretty typical - but, as I implied, Ofgem has decreed that they can't charge 'exit penalties' in the last 49 days (7 weeks) of a contract - so, as I said, even of there is a penalty (and, quite often, there isn't), that means that with a 1-year deal, one is only tied (without suffering a penalty) for about 45 weeks.

... and, of course, most (all?) suppliers do not charge the 'exit fee' if you swap to one of their oither tariffs, no matter when that happens.

Kind Regards, John

I think there was a rule a while ago that suppliers are only allowed to sell 4 tariffs at any one time. To simplify things.
Yes, I think that there was/is such a rule, but the crucial part of that is "at any one time". As has been said, many of them remove and add tariffs every week or two, so there can be countless over a period of a few months, even if never "more than 4 at a time"!

Kind Regards, John

Mind you, are you suggesting/implying (you may be right!) that suppliers are not offering 'smart meter tariffs' to consumers who already have smart meters?
I vaguely recall having seen tariffs that are only available to those without "smart" meters, and a condition is that you agree to have them fitted. Those will be by way of helping the supplier to meet their targets for fitting "smart" meters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back