smart meters resisted

L

Leofric

I can see there have been previous posts on smart meters but not recently as far as I saw. I have resisted having them fitted until now but eon have pestered me to have them fitted and say it is part of the agreement for my tariff for electricity and gas. I wanted to be sure I could be free to negotiate to change supplier if I wanted in future and checked with eon and was told these new second generation meters can be used by other suppliers . When I received the email confirming the agreement to have them installed I noticed the following :-
' If you change supplier, you may lose some of the benefits of having a smart meter. Your smart meter and energy display will still communicate with each other to show you how much energy you're using, however, it will not show the cost. Depending on who you've switched to, your meter readings may be retrieved automatically and be used for billing, but your supplier may also need a manual meter reading - either from you or a visiting meter reader. Also if your smart energy display becomes faulty, your new supplier may not be able to replace it.' - that doesn't sound like what I was led to believe ! Has anybody had experience of changing supplier after having smart meters installed.
ps I don't expect any benefit from these meters apart from not having to supply meter readings ,which I didn't find too difficult anyway !

Sponsored Links
When I signed up for eon I made sure to read it all and ensure that I did not "have" to have one fitted.
It said I may be asked to have one fitted.

They are now badgering me saying I must and if not they will put me on a different tariff, well I'm ignoring them and if they do change my tariff I should be able to change to someone else.

It said I may be asked to have one fitted.

They are now badgering me saying I must
May and must have different meanings.
You do not have to. If they insist, change supplier. I am with Octopus, they confirmed that change to "smart" meter is not required.

Sponsored Links
I know this - that's why I currently have not contacted them.
I see nothing that says I must.

Although TBH Im ok at having one, its a PITA going down into the cellar to read the leccy.

I can see there have been previous posts on smart meters but not recently as far as I saw. I have resisted having them fitted until now but eon have pestered me to have them fitted and say it is part of the agreement for my tariff for electricity and gas.

Probably a lie.

was told these new second generation meters can be used by other suppliers . When I received the email confirming the agreement to have them installed I noticed the following :-
' If you change supplier, you may lose some of the benefits of having a smart meter. Your smart meter and energy display will still communicate with each other to show you how much energy you're using, however, it will not show the cost. Depending on who you've switched to, your meter readings may be retrieved automatically and be used for billing, but your supplier may also need a manual meter reading - either from you or a visiting meter reader. Also if your smart energy display becomes faulty, your new supplier may not be able to replace it.' -

which only goes to prove they were lying.

The dno's look after smart meters so changing supplier shouldn't on the face of it cause problems. ;) Around here they wont install one without looking around the house, starts with must see you turning the central heating off.

but eon have pestered me to have them fitted and say it is part of the agreement for my tariff for electricity and gas

Change.

I'm with Bulb, so far, they've not mentioned it. I like bulb - complete control over my monthly payments and easy to top up - so I can avoid always having too much on their account. Smart metres will make it easier for utility companies to try to predict your usage then take the money before you've consumed.

Some tarriffs (e.g EDF) do require you to have a SM.
The same agreements also state you don't have to have one.

So the same document contridicts itself!

which only goes to prove they were lying.
looks like it. I will try and get to the bottom of it with eon . So has anybody changed supplier after having smart meters fitted:?:
Thanks for the replies so far anyway (y)

Don’t bother. They have shown themselves to lie so continue to resist.

Remember it is impossible to go back to a normal meter later.

Until last year I worked on the smart meter program in IT for a supply so speak from experience here.

1) can’t comment if you agreed in t &c’s- depends on your tariff firstly as some do agree to an install when you switch. There’s also nothing here to indicate they have lied- even though comments say they have, without seeing your tariff and contract no one else will know.

2) you are completely free to switch supplier with a smart meter( subject to not being on a fixed term tariff)
3) as above, the DNO is the
‘Middle man’ that communicates with the meter but the suppliers look after the meter themselves-the loss of functionality is nothing to do with them or e.on- many suppliers (especially small)are behind in the smart functionality and so can’t fully communicate with them, if you switch it simply means they’ll have to gain a manual reading until they do have the functionality ready.
4) your smart energy display is simply the little black screen that most people chuck in a cupboard straight after install- if this is faulty it has zero impact on function ad performance of the meter.

all the above is standard t&cs suppliers include because it’s out of their control and in the hands of other energy suppliers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back