Smart meters, yes or no?.

Fancy water companies wanting their customers to pay for what they use and encourage them not to waste water.

Bloody cheek!
Ah yes. 'Bloody cheek' is indeed correct.

Although you missed out the bit about water companies (being private entities and mostly foreign owned) paying out billions to shareholders courtesy of the billpayer.

And if we now (according to those private water companies) only 'pay for the water that we use', how come the tariff for putting water back into the system is charged at an additional 94% of what is actually used, and that there are also still 'standing charges'?

Thus we are all paying through the nose - including the one who apparently 'nosenothing' ;)

PS. 'promoting' doesn't equal the truth!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thus we are all paying through the nose
Irrelevant when discussing the rights and wrongs of metering. This is something the watchdog needs to address if you believe the cost of water is too high or that the profit margins are too much skewed in the favour of the shareholders.
Encouraging people to save water, use less and pay for exactly what you use can only be seen as the sensible way to go.

one important thing about smart meters is the halfwits that are out there fitting them, couple of months course cowboys who dont have a clue about doing one of the most basic jobs .
Also BG having to change the first million or so meters due to software faults , National grid and the like refusing to work on them due to the amount of faults on them .
Taking meters out and they are still registering gas usage even though they are sitting in van unconnected

If you have any evidence backing your support of these meters please post it. I've not seen one shred of evidence that these meters will address the emerging energy crisis or save people money. ..
Perhaps you will see evidence post 2020.(y)

Sponsored Links
Irrelevant when discussing the rights and wrongs of metering. This is something the watchdog needs to address if you believe the cost of water is too high or that the profit margins are too much skewed in the favour of the shareholders.
Encouraging people to save water, use less and pay for exactly what you use can only be seen as the sensible way to go.
Ah yes, the 'regulator'...

Does the word 'cronyism' mean anything to you?

But of course feel free to tell us about any public service, that when privatised, has benefitted the user more than the shareholder...

You seem to have turned the discussion into a rant about utility prices.

But of course feel free to tell us about any public service, that when privatised, has benefitted the user more than the shareholder...
No argument from me there.

All I know is that as soon as people are metered then they (initially) use less of that product. Also after 2020 customers will have the option of tailoring their tariff to suit their usage. Happy days.

You seem to have turned the discussion into a rant about utility prices.

No argument from me there.

All I know is that as soon as people are metered then they (initially) use less of that product. Also after 2020 customers will have the option of tailoring their tariff to suit their usage. Happy days.
Nope, just pointing out that 'smart meters' are part of the same business model!

And regardless of the tariff you appear to think you will be able to use, you will pay more for less!

Unhappy days - unless of course you are raking it in at the expense of the consumer!

When I started work there were a few properties with no electricity, just gas, gas lights, gas fires, gas fridge. If someone was to do the same now, ie no electric supply to the house, would a smart gas meter still work, ie, does it work off the mains or just battery?

Perhaps you will see evidence post 2020.(y)

Spending billions of pounds on a project based completely on an unproven, unquantiative set of claims is not good policy, government or private. Even if the intentions (resource saving) are good. It doesn't excuse the shortsightedness and complete lack of transparency and trust surrounding the whole issue. Your response is to point at cynics and call them conspiracy theorists..

Are you saying that having a smart meter means that the provider charges more per kwh?
You're already paying more regardless of whether you have one or not.

But hey, if you want to go 'smart' no-one is stopping you ;)

Sponsored Links
Back