Smart Switch Upgrade Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First off I'm new in here, so hello to you all :)

Wonder if anyone can help me with a smart light switch upgrade for stair switches.. I've got a single gang upstairs and double downstairs for hallway and upsiairs light.

Here's downstairs two gang:

And here's the updtairs single gang:

The wiring in both seems incompatible with the smart switches I have (BroadLink Smart Touch Wall Light Switch). The double has a L, L1 and L2 and the single a L and L1.

Is it the case that these are simply not compatible or do I need to get an electrician out to wire them up?

Thanks for any advice!

Oh btw these switches are the ones that don't require a netural wire.

Sponsored Links
two way switches always have three terminals, arranged in a triangle. Two at one end, one at the other.

A double has two triangles. They may be up the other way so it looks like you have three terminals at each end.

Before disconnecting your old switches, get a permanent fine marker pen and clean the red insulation on the cores. The Stabilo Write 4 All is the best pen I have ever found. It will write on glass, metal or plastic.

Identify the wire that goes into the tip of each triangle, and mark it "C"

Mark the other two wires at the other end of the triangle with anything else you want. "1" and "2", "A" and "B", "L2" and "L3", doesn't matter.

Additionally, mark the three wires for the upstairs switch "up" and all three for the downstairs switch "down." You may be able to do this on the white or grey sheathing if it is accessible.

you are now ready to disconnect the terminals, and are capable of reassembling the wires in the correct place in your new switch. Or if it fails, reassembling them back into the old switch.

If you don't do this marking before disconnecting, you will have six identical-looking red wires and little chance of getting them into the right configuration.

This is a mistake everybody is allowed to make once.

Turn off the power at the main switch of the consumer unit before you start

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
On re-reading

The wiring in both seems incompatible with the smart switches I have (BroadLink Smart Touch Wall Light Switch). The double has a L, L1 and L2 and the single a L and L1.

Is it the case that these are simply not compatible

I think the new switches are wrong. They do not have enough terminals for two-way switching. The single appears to be a one-way switch. Not sure what the other is.

If they are "smart" they might work in some other way I do not understand.

Thanks @JohnD, glad you updated with that second post I was trying to get my head around what you wrote first in your first post. From what I'm reading I think these "Smart" switches work in the way that only one is connected and controls the light. The other is only connected to the live feed and it all automagically works over the WiFi but I'm confused about how to wire this up with that knowledge! Thanks for your help though, wonder if anyone has had any luck converting theirs over..

Sponsored Links
With smart switches often the second switch only has power, it uses a wifi connection, you have to use the instructions that come with the switch, some times S for sensing is used. Other option is relay at the light
Landing-light-relay-instructions3.jpg
again follow manufactures instructions.

Once you move to smart switch you leave the standard wiring methods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back