Smart TVs?

I

ImayKnow

Are they necessary?

What is the purpose / advantage of them?

Are they not just similar to having Sky / Virgin?

What is this new tv service being offered by BT all about - is it worth considering?

A lot of questions, but thanks for any responses!

Sponsored Links
Television is not strictly "necessary".

The purpose is to allow you to watch programmes streamed via the Internet so you need a fast broadband account. Sky broadcasts via satellite and Virgin via cable.

Which new BT service?

I just bought a smart Samsung, they and LG seem to have the best, it has built-in wifi and connects to my router, I believe it will also connect wirelessly to phones and other things, might be bluetooth, haven't tried it, and I think wireless sound bars or extra speakers.

It downloads updates to itself easily, and you can download from catch-up websites so lots of tv and radio progs.

It also has USB ports, I have poked a memory stick into one and it has a recording timer to put progs on the stick. You can also connect a hard drive if you wish, no need to buy a separate recorder.

It will cruise the web if you want, but that will be easier when I connect a wireless mouse and keyboard in. The remote control will do it but is impractical.

Whats the difference between them and just hooking your laptop, tablet etc via a hdmi cable to a normal tv?

Sponsored Links
It's less versatile than a PC - TV combination, more complex than a standard TV and, when it goes wrong (due to its complexity) you lose everything! :confused:

Whats the difference between them and just hooking your laptop, tablet etc via a hdmi cable to a normal tv?

it doesn't need the interconnects.

The catch-up TV and radio is very convenient, it's a flexible telly that will show you what's on now, or what was on last week, and will record what's on tomorrow, all in one box.

I find it much more convenient that having another separate box or three.

I just bought a smart Samsung, they and LG seem to have the best, it has built-in wifi and connects to my router, I believe it will also connect wirelessly to phones and other things, might be bluetooth, haven't tried it, and I think wireless sound bars or extra speakers.

It downloads updates to itself easily, and you can download from catch-up websites so lots of tv and radio progs.

It also has USB ports, I have poked a memory stick into one and it has a recording timer to put progs on the stick. You can also connect a hard drive if you wish, no need to buy a separate recorder.

It will cruise the web if you want, but that will be easier when I connect a wireless mouse and keyboard in. The remote control will do it but is impractical.
I have recently bought a Samsung, Brilliant TV, but cannot get it talking to my laptop, fed up talking to Samsung, I get error messages 'file format not supported' & I have tried various formats.
So I gave up on that.
I will be getting a wireless keyboard, advice get a combined keyboard/mouse. Im looking at getting a Logitech K400 £29.39 PC World

Are they necessary?

What is the purpose / advantage of them?

Are they not just similar to having Sky / Virgin?

What is this new tv service being offered by BT all about - is it worth considering?

A lot of questions, but thanks for any responses!
Nothing like sky etc, have a few Samsung , allow me to play films direct from a hard drive, a usb stick or from my pc over ethernet or wifi also has built in web browser and apps like iplayer and handle photo's and music.
You don't have to buy a TV some newer Samsung blu-ray players have same features and the latest PS3 offers similar options.
My 50inch 3d tv has a PS3 which has blu-ray and can play straight from PC or via surround sound.
I have the F series blu-ray player to complement my 40inch in other lounge which offers similar options, a Smart tv in the kitchen to make ordering online easy for the wife and another blu-ray in the conservatory for the 32inch which is dining room and wife like to watch movies while doing the ironing in there.Kids also use a Wii on that set which also offer web access and iplayer etc.
Apps on samsung Galaxy pad and my iphone also allow remote control of tv and playing straight to tv of video and photo's etc.

I have recently bought a Samsung, Brilliant TV, but cannot get it talking to my laptop, fed up talking to Samsung, I get error messages 'file format not supported' & I have tried various formats.
So I gave up on that.
I will be getting a wireless keyboard, advice get a combined keyboard/mouse. Im looking at getting a Logitech K400 £29.39 PC World
Just bought the k400 for my kitchen TV works fine.
My stuff plays all formats including mp4, avi and MKV files, what formats are you using?

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:35 pm Suggest this forum post (or topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought an LG smart tv, and consider the 'smart' internet connection a complete waste of money. It is awkward to use, you really do require a keyboard and mouse to navigate. Far easier to connect a laptop via hdmi. The bedroom tv, which is HD is connected permanently to an old laptop and works well, acting as tv, computer monitor and for recording tv programmes.
Anyone out there who uses the smart function ( for more than iplayer ), I'd like to hear from them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back