Smelly Shower Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to the forum so apologies for any initial mistakes.

Just moved into a 3 YO property built by GW. Within a few days we noticed a bad smell coming from the shower room. After trying drain buster etc to no avail, I decided to remove the bottom panel to have a poke around. In my experience I would have expected to see some kind of trap to block the back flow of foul smells. But the "trap" seems to go straight into the waste which I image connects to the soil under the floor somewhere. See image attached...

In an attempt to rid of the smell, I'm considering an alternate trap. But not sure if there is enough distance to connect to the waste shown in the image, as there is no play in pipe shown.

Is the smell being caused by the lack of an adequate waste trap?

How can I resolve this problem?

Any advice greatfully appreciated.

Cheers.

View media item 14342

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick response.

I have cleared the little plastic pull out crud catcher. Should there not be a pool of water to stop the smells?

Is this a common config?

Kevplumb, I'm assuming its connected direct as I don't want to pull up the tilled T&G chipboard panels. :(

Could there be another trap of some kind further along the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Ah... Maybe some fool has lost it when cleaning it out...

Is it worth replacing the whole trap for a like for like one, to make sure all the bits are present?

Yup - that's a concentric shower trap, but it shouldn't be connected straight into a soil stack. Get someone to flush the lavvy and watch it see if the water level reduces (or, even worse, goes up!).
Your shower room appears to have a bath in it. What's been done about the bath overflow?
And that waste pipe coming out of the floor... it's not copper is it? Where does it go after it disappears?

All in all this looks like a bit of a lash-up - worK of the Provisional DIY maybe?. If the waste going into the floor connects to a soil stack you should have a deep seal trap. It doesn't look as if you've enough room to fit one under the bath without digging a hole in the floor. Can't tell if its wood or condcrete from the photo.

(PS> sorry if this post has crossed with others - I had to break off to argue with an electric salesman on the doorstep half way through)

Quick update... Removed the grill from the plug hole and checked the depth of the trap. I can confirm that the grill tube thing does not make contact with the water.

See image below. Does it look as though something is missing or is this normal. Either way, it's not blocking the smells...

View media item 14349

Try putting it back together and running a bit of water down it. Does the level now come up high enough to make a seal? If it does, the unit is either leaking (unlikely 'cos you'd see it) or something is syphoning the water out of it. If it doesn't the only thing I can think of is that you've got bits from 2 different traps.

What's that bit of clear plastic / silicon bit at the bottom of the tube :confused:

It's like some kind of plastic paddle which is attached to the bottom. I think I might try to replace the whole trap with a new one. That way I know I have all the right bits. What's the safest way to remove a plastic trap from a plastic tray that's been sealed in using silicone. Without causing myself more problems.

If you're not going to remove the tray, it will be quite difficult if not impossible, especially when you try to fit a new one.

Anyway, with regard to your description of the paddle, I was looking at the other end which I take it is the grill. Somehow I suspect that if you take the grill off the end it's on, remove the paddle (which may be a key for pulling the tube out), and reinsert the tube with the rubber ring at the top, then that may do the trick. In short I think the installers put it on upside down but I may be wrong :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back