smelly waste

cbl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can any one help me just had new bath & shower fitted and i can now
smell sewage coming up from new traps .the waste pipe is new but has been connected to the old boss any ideas

Sponsored Links
Probably a really corny reply but have both appliances got water trap drains (U bends / bottle traps) and have they water in them?
John :)

That`s a good question :idea: - the traps are probably too shallow - might be a job for Hep V O waste valves ;)

That`s a good question :idea: - the traps are probably too shallow - might be a job for Hep V O waste valves ;)

Sponsored Links
Hello,

make sure theres not too much of a fall on the wastes and its causing them to self siphon. If it is then it might be worth fitting anti-siphon traps?

just an idea

Nige F is right. I am not a clairvoyant, but I bet you have installed one of these 'low profile', shallow shower trays? These have useless 'Continental' traps which are not 'traps' at all, but merely shallow sumps to trap hair, grit etc. They DO NOT stop smells coming back from the drains and gassing you out in the bathroom. I have to sort these out every week. Fit a Hepvo and your smell will be stopped.

Here is a good page on it:

http://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/smelly_drains.html

Hi DiggerJohn

not sure you are still on this forum

I have an old cess pitt with a broken ball, that has a flow pipe into next door's land (farmer - cows shed). It is 3 meters away from my land. It smells - and regularly to stop the smell I have to empty it every month.

I am being sold a falcon sewage treatment plant for about £10k - connecting into th e

I want the smell to stop - want to not make it stop?

Am I doing the correct solution and if I sold - what do I need certificate wise?

Thanks

Paul

Hi DiggerJohn

not sure you are still on this forum

I have an old cess pitt with a broken ball, that has a flow pipe into next door's land (farmer - cows shed). It is 3 meters away from my land. It smells - and regularly to stop the smell I have to empty it every month.

I am being sold a falcon sewage treatment plant for about £10k - connecting into th e

I want the smell to stop - want to not make it stop?

Am I doing the correct solution and if I sold - what do I need certificate wise?

Thanks

Paul
Sounds like you have a septic tank if there is a ball and outlet pipe?
What country of the UK are you in, in Wales sewerage system outlets should be registered with the envirement agengency, if thats what they still call themselves , and a record of maintenance and emptying should be kept....if you sell in the future a prospective buyer should know the system is in good order making selling easier. If you search septic tank and small package sewage systems on the web theres lots of useful info
litl

Is it the ball broken or the cone that the ball rises into?

If the cone has dropped I believe there is a kit to re hang them.

Hi John, Ian

Thank you for your reply

In England

I just want to stop the smell .......

- will a new cone kit stop this?
- search septic tank and small package sewage systems

thank you

Paul

I'm not sure how much the cone/ball is designed to stop smells so done know.

I bet his cow shed doesn't smell to clever anyway.

agreed cow shed = smell

but that is only for 6 months

in the summer they are out in fields

and one can smell the cess pitt

A cess pit is a big tank that holds ****e, what you describe with the ball you have something like a Klargester Septic Tank.

Yours will have an outlet to a soakaway.

It's hard to tell why it smells. It shouldn't really smell any different empty or full unless your having it emptied and sanitized. They shouldn't be sanitized because the bacteria within it helps it to function.

Emptying it so often is probably doing more harm than good. Septic tanks rely on naturally occurring bacteria to help break the waste down. Keep the use of detergents, (especially bleach), to a minimum, no fat to be put down sinks etc, and the 3 P's, (Pee, Poo and Paper) only down the W.C.'s.

If the tank is fitted with the correct lid, and ventilation system (if any), then it shouldn't smell in normal operation, although this hot weather may not help matters. Before you part with 10K on something you may not even need, I'd get the current set up checked out. Just remember, every drop of water going to that tank, needs to get away again via the soakaway. If the soakaway is waterlogged, and the tank backing up, then you will have problems, however that requires a new soakaway, NOT a new tank.

Guys

Thank you for all your answers - it is appreciated

The soak away is not really a soak away - the pipe comes out above surface level and there is not apparent soak away - has been there untouched for 30 years

It is on farm land and they won't do anything to build a new one

so it seems I am left to manage the affluent coming out - and back to buying a Falcon sewage treatment plant?

Will that stop the smell? and do I still have to be careful what we put down it - i.e. the 3 Ps only?

I am based near Brighton - can you recommend anyone that can help advise or I can talk to on the phone?

thank you again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back