Smith & Alan Unelite engine oils

Sponsored Links
It may be cheap but is it any good? Is it worth economising on oil? I don't think so.

Blended here in the UK.

To quote one of their staff when I ask about who blended their oils -

"
Manufactured by ourselves here on site. We follow an approved formulation for the manufacture of this product and it is very high quality in terms of additive content and base fluid composition, so I would put it against any VW 504.00/507.00, including our close friends at Shell.
"

Quantum LL 5w30 isn't much higher in price and that's official VW oil. £24 at the local VW 4 miles away.

Just thought it may interest folk it being a UK product.

We are faced with this all the time...the oil claims to be of a certain specification but how are we to know :eek:
We just hope so!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I suppose we can reflect on buyer reviews.

Mannol 7715 O.E.M., for instance, is produced in Lithuania for SCT of Germany and it seems to have all 4 and 5 star reviews on the likes of ebay and Amazon.

Everyone has their favorite, just like pads and discs!

It's a difficult one, for sure.....I use loads of Mannol products, from oil to coolant to cleaners and brake fluid. Not impressed with their puncture sealant though! They are competitively priced and attractively packaged which may get some peoples votes which enhance reviews.
John :)

How can you give a review on an oil? You don't know it's no good until thousands of miles have gone by and your bearings / camshaft start knocking.

It depends a lot on what engine you are running, I run all non DPF Hdi engines and they are quite happy with anything rated 'CF', I used the same oil on my previous Citroen diesels and have had engines last nearly 300k. I think that regular oil changes are at least as important as the oil you use, I used to change the XUD's at 5k and the common rail Hdi's I change at about 8k but I only pay about £10 per 5 litres for it.

Peter

£10 per 5 litres? Is that the price buying in bulk? What brand is it?

That's worth considering, a 20 litre drum.

Seven cars in the family fleet,
x2 Bora TDI
Polo 1.2 TDI
1.4 i20
1.3i KA
1.8 Primera
C3

All use 5w30 and I'm advised that VW507.00 (superior wear and sludge package) will accommodate any 5w30 application so may as well get a 20 litre drum.

Sponsored Links
Back