Smoke exiting gas fireplace from real fire in room below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I've a small open fireplace in the cellar which has been NACS swept with a Colt cowl fitted but smoke exits from the living flame gas fireplace in the room above even though it has a separate flue. Any ideas or is it definitely a flue liner I need. I have a Co2 detector.

My first post!

Thank You

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Jeff smoky house, hi.

Short answer is it looks as if a Flue liner is a requirement to the Flue from the Cellar fire.

Suggest you take some precautions? I know of some people that have not, despite being advised!

1/. Stop using the fire in the Cellar.
2/. Have the Flue from the Cellar fire inspected and checked by a Competent approved Contractor, follow his recommendations.

Just be thankful that the fire in the Cellar is not a gas fire?

Ken.

Sounds like you're getting bleed in the chimney stack. The flues share the same breast I assume? The old mortar will have degraded, allowing smoke to migrate from one flue to another to another.

Before any chimney is used, it requires a full smoke test to confirm that the flue lining is sound, if there is any bleed at all then a liner is required, as KEN described. If it's an inset gas fire/LFE a liner will usually be required regardless as a gas fires output into the chimney is much hotter. I'd have the whole breast tested ASAP just in case the flue that your LFE is using is also porous.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you're getting bleed in the chimney stack. The flues share the same breast I assume? The old mortar will have degraded, allowing smoke to migrate from one flue to another to another.

TRUE

Before any chimney is used, it requires a full smoke test to confirm that the flue lining is sound, if there is any bleed at all then a liner is required, as KEN described.

TRUE

If it's an inset gas fire/LFE a liner will usually be required regardless
Do you mean regardless of condition of flue?- if so, then wrong I am afraid

as a gas fires output into the chimney is much hotter.

Not necessarily. Depends on type of gas fire compared to type of SF fire. But irrelevant anyway. NO fire should be used with a leaking flue

I'd have the whole breast tested ASAP just in case the flue that your LFE is using is also porous.

If the coal fumes are passing through to gas fire flue, then it clearly IS faulty - in both dorections

To sum up OP, as suggested, discontinue use until rectified

TRUE

Before any chimney is used, it requires a full smoke test to confirm that the flue lining is sound, if there is any bleed at all then a liner is required, as KEN described.

TRUE

If it's an inset gas fire/LFE a liner will usually be required regardless
Do you mean regardless of condition of flue?- if so, then wrong I am afraid

as a gas fires output into the chimney is much hotter.

Not necessarily. Depends on type of gas fire compared to type of SF fire. But irrelevant anyway. NO fire should be used with a leaking flue

I'd have the whole breast tested ASAP just in case the flue that your LFE is using is also porous.

If the coal fumes are passing through to gas fire flue, then it clearly IS faulty - in both dorections

To sum up OP, as suggested, discontinue use until rectified

Thanks for that FT, I was under the impression that most if not all LFE now called for S/ Sliners or for the flue to be recast if the chimneys are mortar based but I guess in thinking about it, it would be the case with any type of fire and the CO dangers and as long as it passes it's pull and smoke test then it's fair enough. Cheers! (y)

Hi There

I've a small open fireplace in the cellar which has been NACS swept with a Colt cowl fitted but smoke exits from the living flame gas fireplace in the room above even though it has a separate flue. Any ideas or is it definitely a flue liner I need. I have a Co2 detector.

My first post!

Thank You

Jeff

Immediately discontinue use of both appliances. Both chimneys will need to be lined

Thanks for all the replies and the safety advice. Guess I knew I needed one flue liner and now possibly two. I made a mistake saying it was an lfe. It is open flame with imitation coals lodged on top. Is it worth getting a camera survey first to see if there's an easier solution. Thanks again.

So a camera survey is a waste of time? And for the smoke test do I need a gas engineer and a chimney sweep or just a gas person

Your bridges are broken between chimneys. Only solution is to line them both.

A camera will only tell you what you already know - that the wall between the two chimneys is breached and neither are currently safe to use as a result. Lining both is the only option here

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like a flue liner for both but I might end up with a wood burner instead of the gas fire so at least some gain. My first time on here and a very positive experience so thanks again.

Jeff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back