Smoke in the kitchen when cooking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a fan assisted oven which when cooking makes the kitchen smokey. My daughter says her eyes sting. The oven is not self cleaning and I have cleaned it but maybe not very well. I have heard that self cleaning ovens clean themselves by burning off the fat. If this is the case surely they will make the kitchen smokey as well. I am wondering if we need to fit some kind of extraction. The oven is a double built-in Delonghi in stainless steel. Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
have you left deposit of cleaning product in the oven? even the smallest amount that you thought insignificant will create more smoke than you would think! new ovens are the same, the natural grease from your hands can smell when burnt. try wiping over with just water not cleaner.
extractors will help but not OVERCOME THE PROBLEM..

make sure the element is clean no fat splashes on it ,leave door open and turn on full heat afterwards for 30 mins and leave back door open to get rid of and smell ,is the fan working inside as well .you may find the element is on its way out some do give a funny smell before going completley

Thanks for the comments, I'm thinking of paying someone to really clean the oven properly.

Sponsored Links
An extractor hood will help a lot

recirculating hoods are entirely useless.

(except as ornaments)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back