Snapped key !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is the predicament I have

the key has snapped in the lock (cheap shoit ) anyone got an idea how to extract the piece that has broken in the lock?

I would be pleased to hear from you.

20180320_193544.jpg

Sponsored Links
1) Drill it out.
2) Use the burglars method... (make sure you have a replacement cylinder) WARNING May damage the door.

I've pulled them out before with superglue on the other end of the key, failing that then handle off and snap the barrel, that probably not what you want to do though

Thanks I did wonder about super glue
Ill give it a go! and see what happens

Sponsored Links
Superglue has great pulling strength, but crap rotational strength, and will break off if you twist or bend the key, so try and pull it straight out. Not sure if you could put in a junior hacksaw blade (or similar) from the other side, and tap it out.

Or even try and pluck it out with a couple of needles or similar, it will all depend on whether the key going in out was smooth/easy or not etc. Looks like it might need to be turned back a little first anyway.

To remove a euro cylinder from a door you need the key turned a bit to align the centre section. Yours looks to be slightly turned - perhaps you'd hit it lucky and simply be able to unscrew the retaining screw (on the door edge) and the lock will pull out. Alternatively, since the main section of the key seems to be in place, could you turn it slightly such that the lock could be removed?

Any mishap with glue and it with be glued it, if you can take out the lock you can drill the top about 5mm back with 2.5mm bit and then flick the top of the key out will fine screwdriver, done this a few times.

File a couple of mm off one of your keys you use for the same door and open it from the other side. Then take the euro out

Ok well here is what happened, I tried first with a couple of needles but it was too stiff and there was not enough sticking out:unsure: then I had a go with the glue but I probably glued the lock at the same time(n) I then tried pushing it out from the otherside with a long thin piece of stiff wire but no joy:( I filled the spare key down a bit on my bench grinder and it did fit in and turn but it wouldn't turn the mechanism :mad: so in the end I drilled into the lock and took it out and bought a new one(y) which I should have just done in the first place.
thanks for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back