SNOW OR NO SNOW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody waiting in anticipation to see if we get the worst snow fall in 40 years.[ well thats what the experts say ] don't mind it myself , apart from having to drive in it to go to work. like watching it coming down, through the window with the gas fire on full blast :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
snow's good for business in my line of work . . . convenience stores! ;) people dont want to drive to the supermarket, so they walk to the local store instead! (spending twice as much as they would at the supermarket ;) ;) ) The roads i travel on to work get gritted anyway, and are well-used, so snow shouldnt settle on them hopefully!

Nothing like looking out of the window in the warmth to see snow on the windowsill first thing in the morning!

crafty. Don't know which bit of Yorks you frequent, but I went to school in Ackworth near Ponte for 6 years. In 1981 or 2 (can't remember which) the North froze up real bad. They were air-lifting sheep out of the fields and we couldn't get home. Had to stay at school for an extra week! We woke up one morning and it was -10 indoors (heating busted!) and there was ice on the inside of the windows!!

The M62 was blocked, as was the Woodhead and the Snake. And even good old BR couldn't get the line cleared. Eventually a week later BR managed to get a snow plough onto the line and we got home, but it was like being on a train in India - every inch of the train was packed with human beings - breathe? Not until I got out at M/cr Picadilly!!

I'll be extremely surprised if I ever see weather anything quite like that again...

We in the westcountry are due a biggy, '39 .. '62 .. '82 roughly 20 yr frequency :eek:

'62 was deadly, snow arrived boxing day, disappeared in the March !

'82 short and notso sweet ... I drove 25 miles home in a blizzard, ( rear wheel drive ) not too bad on virgin snow, an adreniline pumper at the time...
Based on personal experience ... You can keep the snow thanks .. read somewhere, 1" of rainfall is equivalent to about 1' of snow.

A good old 1963 Glouscestershire snow drift ... That was par for the course in the west country ( not the worst in uk ) .... You would not like it, once the novelty was gone ... 30 mins or less today isn't it?
bagpath_snow_1963_320.jpg

:eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
I remember the thames completely freezing over at hammersmith many years back you could walk from one bank to the other.

kendor said:
I remember the thames completely freezing over at hammersmith many years back you could walk from one bank to the other.
That's never a problem, the big 4 are all in the same High Street :D :D

WoodYouLike said:
kendor said:
That's never a problem, the big 4 are all in the same High Street :D :D
da da da da da, da da! exit stage right! :LOL:

Back