So what a horrible plan

But France and Germany already are our masters; they are the de facto owners and operators of the EU.

Let's check what the UK currently has

Members of the Council? Yes

Seats in the Parliament? Yes

On policy-forming committees? Yes

Got a veto? Yes

And when we become a vassal of Trumpland, which of those will they give us?

None

None

None

None.

Sponsored Links
In Canada it is job loss, same as here.

That is surely what you would expect too? Likely to be more of it too?

But my comment was about the USA, let's not take it out of context. So did you find out what causes most bankruptcies there?

Got a veto? Yes
How will an FTA make us a vassal? What legislature rights will the USA or Canada have over the UK?

What legislative rights does the UK have over other European nations?

It is a member of the legislative assembly, and one of the largest nations in the Union, so it has considerable rights, in the same way as any other member.

What rights will it have over the US?

None.

If it signs a treaty with the US, the US will give it no rights, and will impose such terms as it wishes and the UK accepts.

Chlorinated chicken, anyone? Hormonal beef and milk products? US healthcare companies sucking up profitable business from the NHS?

I'm sure you are familiar with the US approach to international treaties "We fax them our terms and tell them where to sign."

Sponsored Links
Do you remember somebody whingeing that the "big boys" in the EU bully poor, weak little UK?

And we don't always get our own way?

Bless my soul! It was you!

But France and Germany already are our masters

How does the US compare?

Do you remember somebody whingeing that the "big boys" in the EU bully poor, weak little UK?
Hmm, I remember Remainers saying repeatedly that the UK was 'too small' to operate on the world stage...

How does the US compare?
How does an FTA compare to a political federation? Like apples to oranges.

Hmm, I remember Remainers saying repeatedly that the UK was 'too small' to operate on the world stage...

Not me.

But I do remember Quitters saying that a Free Trade Deal with the EU would be easy. And Leaving would allow us to control immigration. And we'd have £350million a week to spend on red buses. Was any of that true?

Here's a question.

Who can negotiate the best trade deals. The world's largest and finest Single Market, or an individual nation that in the past (like Turkey, Greece, Austria, Germany, France and Rome) once had an Empire?

And, Yes, I can see you complaining that the UK is too weak to operate on a European stage, even when it has the same rights and opportunities as all the other members, and is one of the largest and most prosperous.

But France and Germany already are our masters

Moan, moan, moan, go the Quitters.

Talking Britain down.

But I do remember Quitters saying that a Free Trade Deal with the EU would be easy.
I didn't get that impression from Leaver's rhetoric. I think most anticipated a very beligerant EU saying "non" to everything.

And Leaving would allow us to control immigration.
And so far it appears it will.

And we'd have £350million a week to spend on red buses.
And after the divorce bill we will not be sending 350M nominal (250M actual) to Brussels, so true.

Who can negotiate the best trade deals. The world's largest and finest Single Market, or an individual nation
A single nation, since a federation of states is notoriously cumersome and subject to internal disagreement, i.e. rule by comittee. It's no surprise that the EU takes ages to complete anything. Moreover, its trade deals have traditionally been about protectionism rather than freedom to trade, i.e. the negotiations boil down to "what are we going to allow, everything else being forbidden by default". Whereas the proposal in the OP is radical in taking the opposite tack, being about mutual recognition by default, so there would be less to negotiate.

We anticipated easy trade deals with commonwealth countries after leaving, but not with the EU itself. Maybe you meant that?
your attempts to rewrite history are futile. Except perhaps down at the Quitters' Arms.

"It will be so easy to negotiate a trade deal, and of course, it's in the European Union's interest, just as it is in ours."

"A trade deal with the EU could be sorted out in "an afternoon over a cup of coffee"."

"Free trade deals with the UK should be "very easy" after Brexit."

"I think free trade would be relatively straightforward between the United Kingdom and America.
If it’s legal to buy and sell a product in California, it should be legal to buy and sell it in Clacton. Of course there’ll be some caveats."

"You can be sure there will be a deal, whether it's the deal I want which is the free trade agreement, the customs agreement and so on - I'm pretty sure but I'm not certain."

"There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal"."

"The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.""

Sources?? FYI two of those are about deals with non-EU countries and therefore support my comment rather than yours. The other 5 are hardly enough to draw conclusions about the opinion of the Leavers on this forum, let alone the 17 million others.

I don't need to waste my time repeating the sources for quotes that you are already familiar with (but deny seeing).
I don't need to waste my time repeating quotes that support my view, which you are already familiar with (but also deny seeing).

Got a veto? Yes

None

None

None

None.

And you still believe the UK is simultaneously too weak to act as a constructive member of a union in which it has a voice, yet strong enough to stand up to a much larger and more powerful competitor when it has no rights.

Sponsored Links
Back