Socket backs - Necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im chasing out a few walls in the house for new wiring. Is it necessary to have socket backs? What is their functionality? It would mean a lot more chasing if i had to put them on.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Well if you want to comply with the regs and particuarly 526.1 and 526.5, unless you can think of another way to comply.

Sponsored Links
And why don't you want to comply to the regulations, are they completely different in Ireland

Christ on a crutch, I was only asking if they were neccessary and what purpose they served.

Christ on a crutch, I was only asking if they were neccessary and what purpose they served.

Necessary ?

Well as they provide the two threaded holes for the fixing screws then they serve at least one purpose. A couple of wood screws into Rawlplugs will work if you take the time and effort to get the holes in the right places. If not you screw the plate up tight and it cracks.

Safety

If the hole in the wall is a bit crumbly then the wood screws might pull out when you are pulling a stubborn plug out of the socket. Not safe to have a socket hanging on its cables.

Without a back box bits of wall might over time come loose and make contact with live parts in the back of the socket. Not a problem if your walls are bone dry. The back box takes care of that problem.

And without a back box the top of the hole might fall into the space behind the socket leaving a hole above into which little fingers might probe and find a the tops of a live terminal screw.

I don't really want to comply to those regulations even if sockets in the living room fall under the regulations.
Why?

It is only because you are a lazy bodger or do you have a genuine technical reason?

And (leaving aside for now the whole issue of what Ireland uses for its regulations) what makes you think that those two might not apply to sockets in living rooms?

Can you show me where that article says that is isn't necessary for living room sockets to have back-boxes? I can't seem to find it.

Im chasing out a few walls in the house for new wiring.
Why are you doing that when you clearly lack the competence and basic attitude to doing a good job that you should have?

Necessary ?

Well as they provide the two threaded holes for the fixing screws then they serve at least one purpose. A couple of wood screws into Rawlplugs will work if you take the time and effort to get the holes in the right places. If not you screw the plate up tight and it cracks.

Safety

If the hole in the wall is a bit crumbly then the wood screws might pull out when you are pulling a stubborn plug out of the socket. Not safe to have a socket hanging on its cables.

Without a back box bits of wall might over time come loose and make contact with live parts in the back of the socket. Not a problem if your walls are bone dry. The back box takes care of that problem.

And without a back box the top of the hole might fall into the space behind the socket leaving a hole above into which little fingers might probe and find a the tops of a live terminal screw.

Makes sense. Thanks. I'll chase them out.

Doesn't take much competence to chase out a wall my friend. I was asking if it was necessary, and it is, thanks to a poster who helped me out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back