Socket for vacuum cleaner from lighting circuit?!

Sponsored Links
The ceiling rose could simply a neat way to conceal the cable entry or exit from the ceiling. It may not be connected at all

I suppose the only real question is 'Did you report your concerns to the hotel manager, or do you consider that posting the picture for a lot of strangers on the internet is more useful?'.

Sponsored Links
The ceiling rose could simply a neat way to conceal the cable entry or exit from the ceiling. It may not be connected at all
I considered that possibility, but it would seem unlikely. They would only have had to increase the length of the trunking by about 1 cm for it to reach the ceiling, where there is actually a hole (which has not been 'made good' - see photo) - and it's very unlikely that, in that position, it was a pre-existing rose which they used as a 'grommet'. In any event, that wouldn't explain the use of flex - would a 'proper electrician' use flex to wire a permanent socket?

1700415929818.png

Speculate all you like but life is far to short to be wasting time on such matters .

Not your problem.

If it was from a socket circuit surely it would have a box and blank plate with a spout and yt2 from that.

I suppose the only real question is 'Did you report your concerns to the hotel manager, or do you consider that posting the picture for a lot of strangers on the internet is more useful?'.
I don;'t know about "the only real question", but ...

I personally don't really have any 'concerns', because I don't think that (whatever is going on) it represents a significant hazard.

Nevertheless, in response to your question, yes, I mentioned it to the hotel manager, whom I know quite well because I stay there quite frequently, and his response was that "his electricians had expressed no concerns" (which, as below, I have "heard before"!).

Most aspects of this hotel are pretty 'tired', and that certainly includes the electrical installation, and I have noticed far worse electrical issues/problems than this one. I have brought all these issues to the manager's attention, whose response is always essentially the same (as above) - so I do have to wonder about 'his electricians', and I suppose I really ought tom suggest that he probably should get ''a second opinion',least least in relation to some of the issues.

In case you missed the point, the main reason I started this thread was for 'amusement', given the views of our 'absent friend'; :)

Kind Regards, John

If it was from a socket circuit surely it would have a box and blank plate with a spout and yt2 from that.
It could have been done in all sorts of ways, but what I appear to be seeing is not one of the possibilities I would have expected.

Given all that we have heard from our 'absent friend' about ''vacuum cleaners in lofts', I though this was rather interesting - because I can't really think of any reason why they would have installed a socket in that location other than for vacuum cleaners or suchlike!

Kind Regards, John

Given all that we have heard from our 'absent friend' about ''vacuum cleaners in lofts', I though this was rather interesting - because I can't really think of any reason why they would have installed a socket in that location other than for vacuum cleaners or suchlike!

Lots of possibilities, in a restaurant. Till, point of sale thingummy, booking PC, hot plate. There doesn't appear to be a work surface there at the moment, but in the past??

Lots of possibilities, in a restaurant. Till, point of sale thingummy, booking PC, hot plate.
None of those. Immediately adjacent to outside doors (just about visible in photo about 12 inches to left of socket), usually always closed, but which serve as an 'emergency exit', and as far as it could possibly be from any places where items such as you mention would/could credibly be.

Kind Regards, John

would a 'proper electrician' use flex to wire a permanent socket?
Flex is as valid as any other cable. Regs allow its use as fixed wiring.

I have seen many a socket fed with flex in supermarkets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back