Socket from Existing Fuse Spur

Sponsored Links
Sorry, talking at crossed purposes between yours and John's posts.
It's a long time since I seen such a confused set of posts as the last few here :) I know some people don't like quoting, but there are times (like this) when it could avoid total confusion :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sorry, talking at crossed purposes between yours and John's posts.
No problem, I think I just realized you might have been thinking that way after posting my last message.

So i take it that its safe to extend from the mains supply side of the FCU to my socket ?
So long as the existing spur comes directly from the ring to just the alarm FCU (i.e. nothing else already connected to it), then yes.

Sponsored Links
...it won't be long until someone plugs in the vacuum cleaner and sets off his burglar alarm.
That's why I mentioned that it wasn't nice (although safe), but suggested the issue was quite likley one of them damned wallwarts. If it weren't for that, he could install a 3A or 5A socket(s) for the router/lamp, and most people would have difficulty plugging a cleaner into that :)

I would reply that you may do that if you wish but I don't think it sensible to advise DIYers because ...
Although I'm sure an electrician wouldn't/shouldn't do it, since it's safe, I wouldn't worry about a DIYer doing it so long they understood what would happen if someone plugged a large load into the socket. There are things which I might do but which aren't (or arguably aren't) totally safe, but those I certainly wouldn't mention to a DIYer - but I don't regard this as such a case.

Kind Regards, John.

That should be fine then as it comes directly from the consumer unit and only has the alarm system connected. I didn't want to do something that was unsafe. :D

Edit - Just seen johns post above, I have a internet router with normal power adapter will this still be ok[/code]

That should be fine then as it comes directly from the consumer unit

Hold on a moment....... This is a 2.5 sq. mm spur from a ring circuit which just happens to be connected directly to the 30/32A fuse/MCB at the origin, right?

There's usually a battery backup in the alarm panel. But why would plugging a vacuum cleaner into the socket be likely to result in the power being cut? Or more specifically, why do you think it any more likely to happen with this arrangement than with any one of several others?
As you now hopefully understand (through all the confusion!) the comment related to a vacuum cleaner being plugged into a socket supplied via a 3A FCU. However, even when that fuse blew, I would not expect the alarm to 'activate' (start making nasty noises!). The idea of the alarm's battery back-up is surely to keep the alarm 'normally operational' when mains power fails, not so that it can scare all the neighbours when there is a power cut!

Kind Regards, John.

Hold on a moment....... This is a 2.5 sq. mm spur from a ring circuit which just happens to be connected directly to the 30/32A fuse/MCB at the origin, right?
Oh dear. My bones tell me that we are perhaps all about to get a refresher course in 'never assume' :)

Kind Regards, John.

The idea of the alarm's battery back-up is surely to keep the alarm 'normally operational' when mains power fails
Indeed. Or for at least as long as the battery lasts out if it's a long power failure.

Oh dear. My bones tell me that we are perhaps all about to get a refresher course in 'never assume'
Yes - I'm wondering if we're about to find out that the "fused spur" referred to is not, in fact, a fused spur from a ring, but perhaps a dedicated circuit for the alarm on 1.0 sq. mm cable from a 6A MCB....... :confused:

Hi paul, Yes the cable comes from the consumer unit into the fused spur, then cable from spur into alarm panel. I take it thats ok

Hi paul, Yes the cable comes from the consumer unit into the fused spur, then cable from spur into alarm panel. I take it thats ok

What rating is the fuse or MCB at the CU, and what size is the cable feeding the FCU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back