Socket heights in a dwarf wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanting some clarification, Dwarf wall is 500mm from finished floor, customer requires sockets, do I still have to fix at 450mm from the floor?

It will look dreadful if I do!!

Sponsored Links
Would look a bit daft if you did :D

If the whole property is a new build then (if the wall height allowed) you'd be oblidged under part M (I think) to do it.

But it isn't a new build, isn't practical and thus the location is down to you and your clients considerations.

Oh yes you must comply - think of the consequences if you don't. The world may end - it could be worse than global warming :D.

Or you could look at Approved Document M section 4.25 and decide that the exception mentioned there for floor boxes in open plan offices might just be applicable in your situation. The actual Regulations just appear to call for 'reasonable provision' for the "use the building and its facilities".

I am sure one of the many 'experts' on the Building Regulations that post on here will give you a more definitive answer.

BTW are you sure the term Dwarf Wall is acceptable - surely that should be vertically challenged :D.

If they're lower in the rest of the house, you don't. If not you'd potentially have to argue the case.

Sponsored Links
Do what ever looks right, ask the client where they would prefer them to be placed, no one will shoot you, promise! ;)
It's only a requirement in new builds and even then if the client says they would like them lower, I'd put them lower.

I have had so many arguments about height from mounting thermostat too low specially so my mother in a wheel chair can reach it. And bedroom sockets too low so they go under bed and are not damaged by the bed being pulled away and then returned to wall.
Even Part M can't seem to make it's mind up and why 400mm in commercial and 450mm in domestic I have never worked out.

Each time as soon as explained why they have been accepted and I now just use common sense.

Eric, are you completely barking mad?

If not, you soon will be if you attempt to square common sense with any regulations....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back