socket siting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in a pub kitchen is it a reg that a socket must be a metre away from the sink or is that just prefered ?

Sponsored Links
There's no specific distance laid out in the regs, just that all equipment must be suitable for its environment and not likely to be affected by external influences. I've heard people say anything from 300mm to 2m, but I would say that 1m is OK for a normal sink, no high pressure taps etc., and above the splashback if poss.

I would personally exceed 300mm in a commercial kitchen. They are a much harsher environment, and the risk of misuse / abuse is far greater.

1 meter does not sound at all unreasonable

A rule of thumb that I always used to use was that no person with their hands in the sink should be able to reach a socket ;)

Sponsored Links
my local pub doesn't have gas hobs any more. they have a row of microwaves and deep fat fryers. harsh environment my arse. ready meals and chips all round. I could be head chef.

ricicle said:
A rule of thumb that I always used to use was that no person with their hands in the sink should be able to reach a socket ;)

Oooh, how old are you??!! :LOL:

The 14th edition makes mention of arm's reach!!!

Joking aside, you old git, it is not a bad rule to bear in mind, especially (as RF says) it is a commercial kitchen with potential for greater watery abuse than a dom set up.

ricicle said:
Surely removing/insterting a plug with your teeth is against health and safety anyway ;)

Stevesey :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, should have wrote - No person with A hand in the sink should be able to reach a socket.

Secure, I'm 35.My time was with the 15th ;)

dingbat said:
ricicle said:
My time was with the 15th ;)

Time you went on a course, ricey. ;)

I did my 236 part 2 C+G in 1991(15th ed.) and was back taking the 16th the following year!

I've just done the 2391, passed practical just waiting for written results

Going to be a similar situation for me, almost as soon as I finish my paper qualifications I'll have to do an update... :(

Hopefully though they'll still recognise 2391 done under the 16th, because if you have proved you're competant with testing, and proved you are aware of the changes by doing a new 2381.... (but of course that would be joined up thinking ;) ...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back