sockets have no power - all out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably stupid but I have no idea how to fix it. The trip in the box went and guessed it was the tumble dryer as it popped at the same time everything went out. I unplugged it and changed the fuse and put the switch back up in the box but it wouldn't go up. I unplugged tumble again and tried and the switches went back up like normal and the sockets in the kitchen work. But none of the other sockets in the house are working, upstairs or down. I have two socket fuses in box so I guess one is kitchen and one rest of the house, I can't change the rest of the house fuse because I don't have a spare and even if I did it's a sealed unit so I couldn't get it in there.

Any ideas how I fix it or do I need an electrician?. Could the system be reset in case it's just thrown a paddy fit and nothing else is broken?.

Thank you for any help you can offer. House is just two years old in case that makes a difference and the system has Tenby written on it.

Girl
x

Sponsored Links
Do you have a digital camera?

If so could you take a photo of your fuse box and post it on here?

(click my signature to find out how)

here is a picture. Thank you for trying to help.

Girl

27082007792.jpg

I can't get pic to work but here is a link to photobucket.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/girl_19722/?action=view&current=27082007792.jpg

Sponsored Links
Firstly, they aren't fuses. They are MCBs, with an RCD in the middle. They detect different faults.
*An MCB will only trip if the electricity being used on that circuit is too much for the circuit to handle.
*An RCD will only trip if there is excessive earth leakage on the circuits it protects or if someone is being electrocuted. Its primary purpose in your system is to protect from electrocution.
*If there is a short circuit to earth, RCD will normally trip before the MCB, as it is far more sensitive, with a trip point of 30 milliamps.

There are no fuses in the MCBs or RCDs, they are purely mechanical devices. To restore power, you simply flick the switch up.

I note that all the switches are in the on position, yet you have no power on the socket circuit. I would suggest you get an electrician to test that circuit.

Out of interest, the tumble dryer - i take it this no longer works? Where did the pop come from? Plug or dryer? Is the dryer socket close to the consumer unit (fuse box)?

Hi girl

"I unplugged it and changed the fuse and put the switch back up in the box but it wouldn't go up."

By this do you mean the grey switch in the centre of the board, if so then you might need to push it all the way down before you push it up.

good luck.

Thanks for reply, no the tumble is broken. It has a spur switch with the washing machine on the wall (double switch) and the washer still works. They are close to the fuse box thing which is in a cupboard and the sockets are on the wall behind the cupboard wall, if you see what I mean.

The tumble broke I think something was stuck and I heard a pop and everything went out.

All the switches on the box look like it should be okay so i wasn't sure if there was a reset button it's odd that it was something in the kitchen that blew and now that's working and nothing else is.

girl
x

pundle said:
Hi girl

By this do you mean the grey switch in the centre of the board, if so then you might need to push it all the way down before you push it up.

good luck.

Thank you, i tried that and also put them all down and up again but still nothing, I tried unplugging everything and have tried a lamp in every socket but still nothing.

thanks for help though.

girl
x

In that case I would be looking for a radial fed from a fused connection unit. check the fuses in all the fused spurs in the locality, other than that call a 'qualified' electrician.

pundle said:
In that case I would be looking for a radial fed from a fused connection unit. check the fuses in all the fused spurs in the locality, other than that call a 'qualified' electrician.

umm, please can you tell me that in idiot proof language so i can know what i'm looking for? I don't know what a radical fed or a fused connection unit is.

All the fuses in the spurs in the kitchen work and I don't have any spurs anywhere else.

Thanks

Girl
x

Sorry Girl, didn't mean to baffle.

A radial is sockets in a line, cable goes from one to the other, this is different from a ring where the cable returns to the fuse board.

not sure what more to suggest, it looks like the circuit will need deeper investigation.

QED

Thanks anyway i had better leave it to a professional as it's not something easy/obvious that i'm just missing.

thanks for your help.

Girl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back