SODIUM SON & SOX TUBES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best way without power supply to test to see if the above type bulbs/tubes are good...both with es cap and es cap...please ;)

Sponsored Links
These are discharge lamps so they do not contain a filament. Attempting a simple test, like continuity using a DVM, will always show open circuit even with a good lamp.

These lamps need a large potential across the electrodes to operate, so, there isnt any real way to test them other than in a test jig using the correct control gear .... or substitute a known good lamp into a suspect fitting.

Adrian

You either need to make up a test rig board with the correct control gear and lamp holders for each type of lamp you ish to test or the easy way is

to buy a device called a lamp tester city electrical factors do them and a few places sell them online.
cost around £50 ish its like a probe you touch onto the lamp and of the lamps good it will ignite the gas inside

Sponsored Links
I first seen a lamp tester demonstrated by a sales rep from CEF last April we where having issues with brand new fittings not working this tester proved the CDMT lamps where ok so eventually the cause was found to be the control gear was not suitable.

A good source for old sodium lamp gear trays is your local councils street lighting depot, they only have to break the old ones up for recycling anyway.
Theres some quality lanterns going to scrap as the the PFI schemes roll out the new LED lights.

i noticed when i stuck it into the apprentices ear beyond the end cap his mouth slightly openend...is that a duff bulb or good as i can not read his lips :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back