Sofa Springs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening All,

I have a sofa with two broken serpentine springs (the zig zag type), I'm looking for some ideas on how to fix these without replacing the complete springs.

They have snapped at the apex of the bend, so far I have Dremelled the bend off, leaving me with two parallel straight wires of about 3mm each in diameter to join together. Welding is out of the question because of the spring properties, I can't find electrical terminal blocks large enough to accept both wires & I've tried some guy wire couplers (with two M5 studs & nuts) but these are to bulky to be of any use.

Can anyone offer any help please?

Sponsored Links
Google upholstery springs.
At around £2-3 each it doesn't seem worth messing.
But I suppose you could make up some elongated C clips in wire and slip a few across the "join"

Thanks for the reply Tony.

It isn't the cost that puts me off replacing them, it's the fact I would need to dismantle the sofa further including the upholstery & I don't really do upholstery!

You have given me an idea though - I'm thinking of a piece of metal tubing slid over the two ends & two electrical terminal blocks on the ends to stop the tube sliding off. Plus a nylon cable tie around the terminal blocks to help prevent lateral movement?

Might be worth a shot.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back